From walk-on to playmaker

9-dsc-5022

CMU junior wide receiver Jesse Prewitt III makes a catch during the home opener against New Hampshire Saturday, Sept. 9 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

When Jesse Prewitt III walked into the football locker room at Central Michigan University for the first time, he was entering unfamiliar territory. A transfer from Wayne State, a Division II school, Prewitt was a walk-on with dreams of proving himself. 

Today, he's not just another player on the roster—he's a scholarship athlete, an All-MAC honoree and a key figure in CMU's wide receiver group.

Raised in a football household in Columbus, Ohio, Prewitt said he was exposed to the game at an early age. 

“Growing up, my dad was a football coach and he coached at my high school,” Prewitt said. “Football was always a part of life and my dad really pushed me to pursue it seriously. He was a walk-on at Ohio State, so that story and mindset kind of rubbed off on me.”

That mindset led Prewitt to Wayne State, where he first played college football from 2019 to 2021. But the transition from a Division II school to CMU, a Division I program, was no easy process.

The transfer to Central Michigan

Prewitt's journey to CMU began through a connection he had with one of his coaches at Wayne State. Chris Calley, the director of player personnel for the Chippewas, paved the way for Prewitt's journey to Mount Pleasant.

“He was my receivers coach at Wayne State and left the program around the same time I entered the transfer portal,” Prewitt said. “He got a job at Central Michigan and gave me a call, telling me about the opportunity to walk on here. I trusted him, so it was an easy decision to come up here.”

When Prewitt arrived at CMU, he was faced with a new level of competition. Division I football was faster, more intense and more demanding. 

“It took me a while to adjust,” Prewitt admitted. “The speed of the game here is different. That was the biggest thing for me. Once I could slow it down in my mind, everything else started to click.”

The walk-on mentality

Coming in as a walk-on meant Prewitt didn’t have the same guarantees as scholarship players. Every opportunity was hard-earned. He knew he had to take advantage of every snap, every practice and every chance to impress. 

“When you're a walk-on, you know you're not going to get the same chances,” Prewitt said. “So, when you do get those opportunities, you have to make the most of them. I knew I had to stay locked in and be ready whenever my number was called.”

It was. Through persistence, hard work and a relentless drive, Prewitt earned a scholarship in 2023.

“Getting that scholarship was like having a weight lifted off my shoulders,” Prewitt said. “It was a huge relief, not having to worry about how I was going to pay for school anymore. It allowed me to just focus on football and being the best I could be.”

Prewitt’s performance on the field improved as well. Last season, he had a breakout moment that he credits with boosting his confidence. 

“I scored my first touchdown against New Hampshire,” Prewitt said. “It was my first catch and my first touchdown, all in one play. 

"After that, my confidence just went through the roof. I started to feel like my old self again, and I played free from that point on.”

Support and mentorship

Prewitt said a major part of his journey has been his support system. In addition to his family at home, he’s established a strong support system inside the locker room.

“Here at Central, coach Calley has always been in my ear, making sure I stay on top of things,” Prewitt said. “My teammates, like Myles (Bailey) and Marion (Lukes), have been huge, too. They’ve seen me at my lowest points and always encouraged me to keep pushing.”

That encouragement from teammates was especially important during the inevitable ups and downs that come with being a walk-on. 

“Myles was my roommate, so he saw everything I was going through,” Prewitt said. “He knew when I was stressed out or feeling down and he always had my back, 

"It’s a family here. Everyone pushes each other to be better.”

What’s next

As Prewitt plays his final year at CMU, his focus is clear: Helping the team reach its goals while preparing for his future. 

“Our team goal is to make it to Detroit for the MAC Championship,” Prewitt said. “For me, that means doing whatever I can to contribute, whether it’s making plays or just being a leader for the younger guys. 

"My personal success will come if the team succeeds.”

When asked about life after college football, Prewitt didn’t hesitate. 

“I definitely want to prepare for the NFL Draft. That’s the next step for me,” he said. “I’ll train, do my Pro Day and give everything I have to make that dream a reality. If I get the opportunity, I’ll take full advantage of it.”

As a veteran player now, Prewitt finds himself in a leadership role, especially with the influx of younger players on the team. He had encouragement for those who are staring their journey in Chippewa football.

“Take advantage of every opportunity,” he said. “Time flies and you never know when your moment is going to come. Bet on yourself, and don’t let anyone outwork you.”

As he finishes his final season at CMU, Prewitt said one thing is certain—his football story is far from over. And whatever happens next, he’ll face it with the same determination that’s carried him this far.