Upholding the values of CMU and democracy

Keep a divisive election season civil

cm-life-davies
Central Michigan University President Bob Davies poses for a portrait in front of the CMU Seal on Feb. 14, 2024. Davies announced about his resignation in a letter to the university on Jan. 31.

Once again, Central Michigan University is hosting early voting on campus for this year’s general election. Regardless of how you cast your ballot, every member of our university family – students, faculty, staff, alumni, supporters and friends – has an important role to play in creating the future we want to see at CMU, in Michigan and beyond.

In addition to an incredibly divisive presidential election, there are many other important issues and candidates locally and statewide that you will have a chance to decide. I encourage every eligible voter to exercise their right to vote and engage thoughtfully in the democratic process.

“Participation in civic life is not just a right but a responsibility.”

At CMU we say, “We Do” – and that extends far beyond hands-on learning in classrooms and labs. It also means we are active leaders in our communities. Voting is one of the most powerful ways to make your voice heard on issues that matter to you, your community, and our country.

Equally important is how we engage with one another, particularly when our political views differ. Democracy thrives not only on the active participation of its citizens but also on the respectful exchange of ideas. In these acrimonious times, it's more important than ever to approach political discussions with civility and empathy no matter the outcome of the election. 

We will not always agree, but we must strive to listen to and understand perspectives that differ from our own. Treating those who disagree with our beliefs with respect is essential to fostering an inclusive and healthy dialogue on campus and beyond. 

Our university is a space for learning, growth, and debate. Let’s ensure that our discussions, whether online or in person, reflect our commitment to respect, compassion and understanding. 

In this election – and all elections – I encourage you to make your voice heard by voting and to engage with one another with respect, upholding the values of both democracy and our community.

Dr. Bob Davies is the 15th president of Central Michigan University.