CMU soccer stays unbeaten in MAC, draws with Toledo

d-soccervswesternmichigan-photo-09-29-24-10
Central Michigan sophomore defender Rachel Jackson high-fives teammates during pregame introductions on Sunday, Sept. 29, in the CMU Soccer Complex. Jackson finished the game with two shots and has five points on the season. (CM-Life | Mark Hoover)

With 13 minutes left in the game, Claudia Muessig stepped for a free kick, with the ball sitting just outside the box. As Central Michigan soccer was in desperate need of a score, she converted to tie the game at one against Toledo. 

Both teams couldn't find the back of the net again, leading to a draw. With the tie, CMU continues to be near the top of the Mid-American Conference standings as it is tied with four other schools for the second spot in the conference. 

The Chippewas come right behind rival Western Michigan who holds the top spot. 

While battling in the box, junior defender Gabriella Sapia, knocked over Toledo junior forward Kaema Amachree to earn Toledo a penalty kick. Senior Oilvia Dault converted to give the Rockets a 1-0 lead in the 17th minute. 

Central Michigan settled down defensivley allowing three shots only, one of them on target. Offensivly, Central Michigan looked to go back on the attack but could only muster three shots during the first half. 

Even with the shot total not being in their favor, CMU continued the pressure it built up in the first half but couldn't break the seal.

With thirteen minutes left in the game, graduate senior Claudia Muessig booted a free kick from 18 yards out hitting the crossbar and going into the net for the equalizer. 

The goal marked her forth goal of the year.

With five minutes left in the game Central Michigan had a  chance to get another goal but the shot from forward Jaelyn Dobowolski just missed. 

The game ended 1-1 as the Chippewas keep the unbeaten streak with three wins and three ties in their last six matches and remain unbeaten in MAC play. 

Central Michigan play at 7 p.m. on Thursday at home against Ball State as apart of breast cancer awareness month as well as a neon theme night for students.