'The Wild Robot' will pull at your heart strings

Animated film takes its audience on a journey through motherhood

d_wildrobot_review_100424
Roz (Lupita N’yongo), and Brightbill (Kit Connor) find family in the wildest of places in DreamWorks Animation’s heart-tugging new film, 'Wild Robot,' directed by Chris Sanders. (Courtesy image | Universal Pictures)

"The Wild Robot" is a tearjerker for sure. Right out of the gate, I implore everyone and their kids see this movie: It is a beautiful, majestic movie about love, loss and how hard it is to be a parent. 

The film follows a damaged robot named Ross, who's lost and looking for a purpose. After a terrible accident, Ross becomes a parental figure to a gosling named Brightbeak. Finally finding her purpose, Ross fights the laws of nature to finish her objective and get Brightbeak back to his family. 

As the title of this review suggests, this movie is filled with raw, powerful emotion. I was flabbergasted with the amount of truth and reality presented in this film. It shook me to my core and had me bawling at least three times. 

Lupita Nyong'o ("Black Panther") plays Ross, and her vocal performance is immaculate. I felt a powerful connection with her, as some of the lines she's given reminded me of my own mom and how I was raised. Anyone with a strong connection to their mom will appreciate this film. 

Brightbill, played by Kit Conner ("Heartstopper") is a reality trip on growing up and learning to grow beyond what you are taught. I also felt a heavy connection with the character, as Brightbill was not raised as a typical goose and has abnormalities that make him stick out -- especially when he meets his flock for the first time. My heart ached for his character, and when it was his time to shine, that scene had me on the ground, clutching my chest.  

Pedro Pascal ("The Mandalorian") also provides the voice for Fink, a fox that acts a surrogate dad for Brightbill. He was the funniest part of the movie as a sarcastic realist that teaches Brightbill the harsh realities of nature and life, while not being too serious. He provides a lot of great comedy that doesn't take away from any of his lessons. 

There are a few more actor cameos I won't spoil, because when you realize who it is, they will bring a giant smile to your face (especially "Star Wars" fans). 

The animation of this movie is breathtaking. Every frame looked like a moving panting, really capturing the children’s book aesthetic that the movie is based on. The backgrounds, especially the sunsets, looked like I could step through the screen and feel the light breeze of an autumn evening.  

The story of the movie is the most important part. Like I said, anyone with a close attachment with their mother will already fall in love with this film; but for some, like myself, who have lost a parent or an important figure in their life, it will be incredibly affecting. 

The way the characters explain death as a form of migration to something bigger and better had me choking on my tears. The music, the animation, the voice acting and the passion from these film makers all culminates in that scene, and it will leave you with a feeling like no other. 

If it wasn't obvious enough, this film is a 10/10 and should be seen by everyone. This is a beautiful film that surely has my vote when Oscar season rolls around. 

I once again beg everyone who has free time this weekend to go see this movie. You will not regret it.