A taste of culture

Tortilla-making event celebrates, educates on a culinary standard

d-tortilla-night-photo-10-1-24-6-jpg

Central Michigan University freshman Emma White on the left tries her tortilla with Central Michigan University freshman Adra Scarbrough and Central Michigan University sophomore Mikaiah White on the right, Tuesday, Oct. 1, in Wightman Hall. (Cm Life| Zoey Morse)

The crowded room was filled with the scent of freshly baked tortillas. Music blasted from speakers and chatter filled the room as everyone gathered around tables, ready to make tortillas. 

Prospanica's annual Tortilla Making event was held on Tuesday at Wightman Hall 110. 

“We’ve been doing this for three years,” Itzel Neri, retention chair for Prospanica, said. “(The) Tortilla making event is one of our biggest events.” 

Prospanica is the Association of Hispanic MBAs and Business Professionals. While the organization puts on many fun activities, such as the Tortilla Making Event, its focus is on professional development for Latine students.

Many of the students who came to the event were ready to experience new cultures. One was Courtney Cannon, a junior, who was enthusiastic about the event. 

“It’s interesting, in a good way, to experience something new,” Cannon said. “I think it’s important to get everybody involved in diverse experiences. This was just a fun way to get out and do something different.” 

Another student, Lorenzo Harrison-Anguiano, is a junior and has been attending the Hispanic Heritage events every year for three years now. He said he enjoys events like these for the casual environment.

“Compared to a traditional lecture, it’s a way of learning about culture in an interesting way,” Harrison-Anguiano said.

Before it was time to start baking, there was a brief presentation that discussed the history of tortilla making. Tortilla-making is an important tradition in Mexican and other Latin cultures. The skill is often passed down for generations.

“It’s a key component to every Mexican culture,” Neri said. “Something that a lot of our families pass down.” 

Throughout the experience, students were given flour, water and salt, and were taught how to mix and shape these ingredients into little tortillas. After this, the tortillas were pressed in a metal presser referred to as “la prensa," or “the press." Now flattened, the tortillas were ready to be cooked on the stovetop. 

“We hope that at least you learn something,” Neri said.