CMU volleyball gets two crucial wins versus Buffalo

d-vbvbuffalo-photo-10-25-2024-02

Senior defensive specialist Aly Gurtiza (left) subs in for senior opposite Krystina Kasson on Thursday, Oct. 25, in McGuirk Arena. (Audrey Konitsney | CM-Life)

After losing set one, Central Michigan volleyball found itself down 19-14 late in the second set of match one. At risk of going down 2-0, CMU needed to quickly find a way to turn it around. Using a 6-1 run to tie it up at 20, Central Michigan and Buffalo fought it out down the stretch.

After managing to grab a 26-25 lead, the Chippewas found themselves with a golden opportunity to win set two as the ball floated above the net. 

Redshirt junior middle blocker/outside hitter Abby Olin was right there to fire it into the ground giving Central Michigan the 27-25 victory and the added boost it needed to go on and win the match 3-1. 

“I thought we played really mature volleyball and composed volleyball in some big moments,” head coach Mike Gawlik said. “There were some big pushes by them, they got out in front of us in set two, we rallied back to win that one. I thought that was a really big important set after we lost a close one in set one.”

After winning in four sets on Friday, the Chippewas came back on Saturday and won its fifth straight in five sets against Buffalo to go 2-0 on the weekend. 

Match 1

The first set went to the Bulls in a closely contested 25-23 battle. In an exhilarating set two, CMU came back late to win 27-25.

Using the momentum off of set two, the Chippewas continued to stay hot as they took a tight set three 25-23 and sealed the match with a 25-21 set four victory.

Freshman middle blocker Grace Thomas led the team in kills as she matched her career high at 16. Junior outside hitter Natalia Rejment, senior outside hitter Lauren Schrock, senior opposite Krystina Kasson, and Olin also pitched in nine kills each.

“We didn’t panic after set one,” Gawlik said. “We just kinda kept our foot on the gas pedal, we knew we needed to be a little more aggressive.”

With all of the different moving parts on both sides of the ball in the sport of volleyball, communication is a key skill, and the Chippewas have a method that works for them.

“We talk a lot about eye contact,” senior defensive specialist Aly Gurtiza said. “Looking at each other before the play, and just communicating while the ball is in the air, and trust each other.”

“Listening is a big part of it,” junior defensive specialist Alina Anderson said. “Knowing that if she is calling it and she is gonna take it, I know I can back off and I know she’s gonna put up a good ball. 

"So in those miscommunication situations, I think having someone just use their voice to step up and just take it and allow everyone else to just relax and get ready for the next point.” 

Match 2

Central Michigan came out firing on Saturday afternoon winning the first two sets 25-20 and 25-23. After letting set three get out of hand and eventually falling 25-18, the Chippewas looked to end it in set four.

Staying consistent with the previous night, the set was close at the start. Leading 22-18, and needing only three points to end it, CMU gave up an 8-2 run, losing the set 26-24, and pushing it into a pivotal fifth set.

They might have lost the momentum, but the Chippewas fought hard in set five and came out on top 15-12.

With the two wins, Central Michigan improves to 18-5 overall and 9-2 in Mid-American Conference play. CMU still sits atop the conference standings after breaking its tie with Buffalo, but remains tied with Bowling Green.

“Our challenge right now is to block out all the bullshit,” Gawlik said. “A lot of people are gonna tell them how amazing they are, and we deserve some of that. But our goal is not to be in first place after 11 matches, our goal is to be in first place after 18 matches, which means we have a long way to go.”

Kasson, Olin, and Schrock each had double-digit kills with 16, 15, and 13.

“Pressure is a privilege,” Kasson said. “Its really awesome that we’re in this spot, but we got in this spot for a reason, and its through the work that we’re doing. So I feel like keeping our foot on the gas just kinda comes with doing what we’ve been doing, staying locked in, not letting the noise and the outside factors get into our head and make us overlook the fact that we need to stay locked in and working hard."

Despite Rejment’s struggles on offense, she filled up the stat sheet by doing a little bit of everything. Showing the true two-way player she is, Rejment recorded six kills, three assists, three service aces, four blocks, and 21 digs.

“Nat didn’t attack well, but she brings so much more to the game than just that,” Gawlik said. “She contributes in other ways that allow us opportunity to win. She dug 21 balls, she led us defensively, she kept us in system passing more than she didn’t, she had three service aces, four blocks, that's gotta be a career-high. She has impact even when she's not attacking well for us."

CMU goes on the road next weekend to take on the Ohio Bobcats in Athens, Ohio. The first match starts Friday at 6 p.m.