CMU Homecoming celebrates traditions through events

d-100yrshomecominglib-photo-10-1-24-2
The "One Century of CMU Homecoming" display sits in the hallway, Tuesday, Oct. 1, in the Park Library. This was designed by Megan Lindley. (CM Life | Jo Kenoshmeg)

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Homecoming this week, Central Michigan University is opening its doors to friends, family and alumni to partake in various events.  

Noah Burks, the assistant director of student activities and marketing in the Office of Student Activities and Involvement (SAI), said that in light of the anniversary, this year's theme is decades.

Here are some key events that are held during the CMU Homecoming week: 

The Annual Medallion Hunt is a week-long scavenger hunt put together by SAI. Clues will be posted daily on the its Facebook and Instagram pages. The hunt will end with an unlocking of the Gold CMU Seal Homecoming Medallion.      

Wednesday, Oct. 9

Homecoming Kickoff will be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Finch Fieldhouse.  

The event will offer free food and activities such as inflatables, carnival games, a popcorn bar, a cornhole tournament and prize giveaways. 

Thursday, Oct. 10 

Homecoming Trivia and Homecoming Movie will take place from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in Bioscience 1010.  

Burks said the trivia is a decades theme and will be directly followed by a showing of "Back to the Future".  

Friday, Oct. 11   

A Hot Cocoa Bar will be available from noon to 2 p.m. on the lawn outside the Bovee University Center.  

Rock Rally will be held at 7 p.m. in Plachta Auditorium.  

"At the Rock Rally, there will be the CMU marching band, cheer team and dance team to get people fired up and in the Homecoming spirit," Burks said.

Students that are part of a community council will perform a prepared song-and-dance number in front of a panel of judges for a chance to win the Gold Cup Trophy. The announcement of the Gold Ambassador, voted on by students, will also take place.

Saturday, Oct. 12   

The Homecoming Parade will start at 11 a.m. in Lot 22 and will make its way down Main and Broadway streets before ending in the Sacred Heart Church parking lot.  

Burks said the VIPs of the parade will include the Gold Ambassador, along with the Grand Marshals of 2024 --  the 1974 National Championship football team.  

There will also be a float competition, which is voted on by a panel of judges.

Tailgating and the South end tailgate lot will open at noon. Parking permits can be purchased at Ticket Central.   

The CMU vs. Ohio football game will kick-off at 4 p.m. at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.  

For more information on events throughout the weekend visit CMU’s website.