Celebrating International Pronouns Day

d-gather-for-culture-hhm-edition-photo-10-15-24-10
LGBTQ banner inside of the MASS office during Gather for Culture HHM Edition event, Tuesday, Oct. 15, in the Bovee University Center room 108. (CM-Life | Zoey Morse)

To celebrate the International Pronouns Day on Oct. 16, the Office of LGBTQ+ Programs and Gender Equity will be tabling from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the first floor of the Bovee University Center to educate students on the importance of pronouns. 

Bee Taylor, the director of the office, said they have been celebrating pronouns day since 2021 and wanted to bring more awareness to Central Michigan University.

“(It’s a) day about education and talking about why pronouns are important,” they said. “I found that tabling is the easiest, most digestible way."

The office will be handing out free things at the tabling. Some of these will include pronouns pins, prizes and purple ribbons for the upcoming Spirit Day on Oct. 17 which will be focused on K-12 bullying. 

Some other events that the Office of LGBTQ+ Programs and Gender Equity will be holding this October are as follows: 

• Gender and Sexuality 101 or a “Lunch and Learn” which will be held at 12 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 21 at the Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity in the University Center. Taylor said that this will be a place for both staff and students to learn more about the definitions and complexity of gender and sexuality. Taylor said there will be free food.
  • Queer Halloween will be held at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 30 at the Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity in the University Center. Taylor said there will be a costume contest, baked goods and movies.

An infographic about International Pronouns Day made by student volunteer, Sydney Tinker. The Office of LGBTQ Services and Gender Equity Programs will be tabling Wednesday, Oct 16 from 11 to 1 p.m.