CRIME LOG: CMUPD handles larceny, abandoned gun, traffic offenses on campus

stock-27
CMUPD cars sit in the parking lot of the police station Jan. 8.

The following incidents were among those handled by Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 25 to Oct 2.

Sept. 25

At 2 p.m. CMUPD received a report that someone stole CO2 tanks that are used to fire the t-shirt cannon at Kelly Shorts Stadium.

At 5 p.m. CMUPD received a report that a 19-year-old female suspect walking down Broomfield pulled out a knife and held it in a stabbing motion toward a 21-year-old female driver. The campus police identified the suspect, who had a warrant out of a neighboring jurisdiction and was taken to jail. The person was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon on Oct. 3.

At 7 p.m. CMUPD received a report from a 19-year-old that her bike was stolen from a Moore Hall bike rack. There are no leads at this time.

At 6:40 p.m. a 21-year-old female reported her AirPods were stolen by a 22-year-old suspect. She tracked them to a residence off campus using the “Find My” app. CMUPD made contact at the residence and returned the stolen AirPods. Nobody pursued charges.

Sept. 26

At 2 p.m. a staff member reported that a student was yelling at a professor and banging items in Pearce Hall. CMUPD made contact with the professor and student, deescalated the situation and turned the case over to the CMU Care team for review.

At 12 p.m. an individual found an abandoned backpack in lot 22 that contained a hand gun. CMUPD investigated the situation and found that the owner was unaffiliated with campus. No laws had been violated and the property was returned to its owner.

At 5:15 p.m. CMUPD were dispatched regarding a 40-year-old male suspect slumped over the curb outside the SAC. When officers arrived, he matched the description of a person the Tribal Police wanted to talk with for an investigation. The case was turned over to Tribal Police and the man was detained. He had a felony warrant out of Jackson County.

Sept. 27

At 4 p.m. a 59-year-old male driver stopped his vehicle to let a student pass near Washington and Broomfield, and was rear-ended by a 21-year-old male driver. CMUPD investigated the report. No one was injured.

Sept. 28

At 9:37 p.m. CMUPD observed a 23-year-old male suspect driver didn’t have tail lights. The officer tried to stop the vehicle, which accelerated to a high-level speed on Bellows and ran stop signs. Officers stopped pursuing, but the vehicle was later located at his residence. The suspect came out and was arrested for “flee and allude.” He was taken to jail.

At 9:54 p.m. CMUPD stopped a 22-year-old male suspect on a motorcycle which didn’t have insurance. He was cited for no insurance and expired registration.

Sept. 29

At 1 a.m. CMUPD stopped a 20-year-old female driver whose vehicle didn’t have insurance. She said it was for financial reasons, and was cited for no insurance.

At around 7 p.m. CMUPD received a report from a 20-year-old female that her bike was stolen from Kessler Hall. There is no suspect at this time.

Sept 30

CMUPD received a report that at 10:50 a.m. on Sept. 25, a 20-year-old female bicyclist was hit by a car from the side on Broomfield and West Campus Drive. She had been diagnosed with a concussion.

At 6:35 p.m. an 18-year-old male reported his bike was stolen from a bike rack outside the SAC. The suspect was seen on camera and identified. CMUPD recovered the bike and the 25-year-old male suspect admitted to stealing it. The report was submitted to the prosecutor’s office for charges.

Oct. 2

At 1:27 a.m. CMUPD received a report that a 19-year-old female and 20-year-old male were arguing outside Herrig Hall. The female pushed the male, who was her boyfriend. No one was injured, but the case was turned over to the prosecutor’s office for review.

At 1 p.m. CMUPD responded to an Anspach Hall fire alarm. CMUPD were aware that the fire alarm had been falsely pulled in the Hall on Sept. 11. A 24-year-old male suspect was located in the building attending a class and admitted to pulling the fire alarm both times. He was arrested and taken to jail for two counts of false alarm for a fire.

At 4:45 p.m. CMUPD received reports of a hit-and-run after a 20-year-old male returned to his car parked in lot 62 E and noticed scratches and scrapes down the driver’s side of the vehicle. CMUPD found video of the incident, and the driver responsible was ticketed for leaving the scene of an accident.