CMU football looks to break road losing streak

d-footballvsohio-feature-photo-10-12-24-3
The Central Michigan and Ohio University football teams line up at the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped on Saturday, Oct. 12, at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. (CM-Life | Mark Hoover)

Central Michigan football enters this week's matchup against Eastern Michigan looking to rebound from a frustrating 27-25 loss to Ohio. 

Ahead of the Mid-American Conference rivalry game, both teams are looking to bounce back from tough losses, with the Chippewas coming off a home defeat and Eastern Michigan falling to Miami (OH).

“The thing we talked about is the maturity it's going to take to recognize the mistakes we made and get them corrected,” head coach Jim McElwain said. "Whatever the outcome was, we’ve got to move forward and get ready to build for this Saturday."

CMU struggled offensively in its last game, particularly in the first half, when it had just 63 total yards. 

“We were consistently kind of three and out, and that really hurt us," McElwain said. “They did a great job with ball control. Second half, we got to go a little bit, and we were able to get them off the field. And that turned our offense around as well.”

Ohio dominated time of possession, limiting Central Michigan's ability to find any rhythm. In the second half, the Chippewas showed signs of life, mounting a comeback that nearly erased a 13-point deficit. 

“We were able to get them off the field, and that turned our offense around as well,” McElwain said. “I’d love to tell you there was some magic, but it was just about going out and doing your job and not chasing ghosts.”

The loss drops Central Michigan to 3-3 overall and 1-1 in the MAC. The team remains winless on the road, a streak that is looking to break against the Eagles.

Injury also halts the Chippewas as quarterback Joe Labas went down with an injury during the second half of the Ohio game and is expected to miss significant time after undergoing surgery. In his absence, quarterback Tyler Jefferson will step up to lead the CMU offense. 

"We hope to get (Joe) back for spring practice,” McElwain said. “He's going to go in and have surgery done, so TJ will be the guy, and he'll be ready to go.”

Jefferson, who has shown promise in limited action this season, now has a crucial opportunity to make an impact as the starting quarterback, with quarterback Bert Emanuel Jr. also out due to injury.

McElwain also addressed the challenge of playing on the road, where the Chippewas are 0-2 this season. 

“Some of the things we're doing, we're going to do a little bit different on the trip," McElwain said. "It's a short one, obviously not a ton of bus time like we'll have the following week. We'll do some things from the routine a little bit, break it up, here and there.”

This game also carries extra significance with the Michigan MAC Trophy on the line, a traveling trophy contested between CMU, Eastern, and Western Michigan. The Chippewas last held the trophy in 2021.

“It obviously brings some motivation," McElwain said. "We’ll be ready to go try to get it back.”

Central Michigan (3-3) vs. Eastern Michigan (4-2)

Time: 2:00 p.m.

Date: Saturday, Oct. 19

Stadium: Rynearson Stadium

Location: Ypsilanti, MI

TV: ESPN+