CMU loses eighth-straight road game to Miami (OH)

d-footballvseasternmichigan-photo-10-19-24-01
Central Michigan's redshirt freshman wide receiver Evan Boyd makes a catch against Eastern Michigan defensive back Dramarian McNulty, scoring a touchdown during a game on Saturday, Oct. 19 at Rynearson Stadium in Ypsilanti, MI. The play was Boyd's first receiving touchdown of the season. (Marie Underwood | CM-Life)

After falling behind early in the first quarter to Miami (OH), the Central Michigan football team looked to secure its first touchdown in Oxford, Ohio, on Saturday. After 15 plays, the Chippewas would find senior runningback Myles Bailey for the lead.

CMU would not score again for the remainder of the game, leaving the final score 46-7. This will mark the Chippewa’s eighth-straight road loss, after they lost against Eastern Michigan last Saturday.

“We started out okay and then just sputtered on offense,” head coach Jim McElwain said. “We just have to play with some consistency. Just take what they give you and don’t try and do too much.”

CMU now holds a 3-5 overall record and a 1-3 conference record, dropping to 10 in the Mid-American Conference (MAC).

With quarterback Joe Labas still out for the season and quarterback Bert Emmanuel Jr. out with an injury, all eyes looked to redshirt freshman quarterback Tyler Jefferson.

After an injury to their starting quarterback, Miami's backup quarterback stepped in, immediately rushing through the middle for a massive 72-yard gain before being tackled by defensive back Dante Kent. This set up a RedHawks touchdown early in the second quarter, giving them a 10-7 lead.

CMU’s defense held firm, limiting Miami to a field goal on its next drive and keeping the game close at 13-7. 

“We got to get some things going offensively,” McElwain said. “Right now, we got to give them answers. … The biggest thing is you got to be constructive, and you can’t tiptoe around the mistakes.”

As halftime neared, CMU kicker Tristan Mattson had an opportunity to narrow the gap but missed, ending his 10-straight field goal streak. Miami took advantage of the missed field goal, extending its lead to 16-7 just before halftime.

The RedHawks continued to press in the third quarter, with a 51-yard field goal stretching their lead to 19-7. CMU’s offense struggled to respond, causing Miami to take full control with a 36-yard touchdown, pushing its advantage to 26-7. 

Another field goal early in the fourth quarter expanded the lead to 29-7, and the Chippewas couldn’t find a way to break Miami’s defensive hold.

“Look, I love these kids,” McElwain said. “They work their tails off; I just want to see them have success. ... It’s really going to be about direction.”

The game continued in favor of the RedHawks, with another rushing touchdown up the middle, putting them at 36-7. 

Miami tacked on another score with just under seven minutes remaining, bringing its lead to 43-7. Jefferson attempted to ignite a comeback but threw a costly interception, which led to a final Miami field goal, sealing its dominant 46-7 victory.

“We have a great group of kids in that locker room,” McElwain said. “They really care about the Chippewas; they really care about Central Michigan. It’s going to be a big gut-check time. … We’re going to go forward and get ready to play the next game.”

The Chippewas will return home and host the Falcons of Bowling Green Nov. 5.