City Commission discusses city development, community ideas

Outside of Mount Pleasant City Hall where City Commissions meetings are held. 

Mount Pleasant City Commission discussed new city development, The Bronze Legends project and community input.

Downtown Development Director Michelle Sponseller walked through a proposal for the 200 East Broadway building downtown. The project seeks approval from the city commission for $90,000 in funding to support the redevelopment. The funding will assist the project's application for the Michigan Development Corporations Revitalization and Place-making grant. 

Once completed, the space will feature a restaurant, offices, apartments and condos. Additionally, it will involve the removal of the 1970 slipcover metal on the outside of the building that was used to restore its historic legacy. 

The board unanimously approved the $90,000.

The city commission also discussed The Bronze Legends project. Kate McCracken, a long-time community member asked the commissioners to find a way to celebrate the art, despite it being destroyed.  For McCraken this represents her family's legacy and she wants it recognized. 

“This is so much more about public art than it is about that particular art piece,” McCracken said. “Which is near and dear to my heart as it was the recognition of my family's legacy and commitment to the city over many generations."

She said public art is for public consumption and she wants it to be accessible for all. McCracken recommended that the city formally assign it to a city department for long-term management. 

“My understanding from one of the commissioners is that several pieces have been found,” McCracken said. “I would encourage that the city replace those so the public can appreciate them in all there beauty and historic importance.”

The council decided to continue discussions so that they could appropriately find a plan to rebuild the art and or display a plaque to represent the family's history in the city. 

The next Mount Pleasant City Commissions meeting is at 7 p.m. on Oct. 29 at the City Hall.