Abreast of the issue

CMU joins the world to mark the 2024 Breast Cancer Awareness campaign

original-74d86ff9-bf49-48f5-a54c-fa1400417c3a

Zeta Tau Alpha (ZTA) member Rachel Mellon (left) at her Breast Cancer Awareness booth at the CMU soccer game on Oct. 10, 2024. (CM Life | Nchiewe Ani)

October is globally recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed among women in the United States, according to the American Cancer Society.

It is estimated to affect 1 in 8 women in their lifetime, resulting in the death of 1 in 43 women. So far in 2024, there are an estimated 42,250 deaths among women and 530 deaths among men,  American Cancer Society read.

According to the World Health Organization's (WHO) article on the global breast cancer initiative,  the number of those affected with cancer is staggering, but there is a high chance of survival if the disease is treated early. 

WHO article also read that high-income nations have a 99% greater 5-year survival rate than low-income nations (44%) due to existing health system disparities and inequalities.

According to the American Cancer Society, the breast is said to be cancerous when the cells in it divide and grow uncontrollably, resulting in a mass or lump that may be asymptomatic and painless in the beginning or begin as a lymph node in the armpit, along the collar bone, or beneath the nipple. 

It said the need to be breast aware, especially knowing how to do the monthly self-breast examination, having an annual clinical breast examination and a mammogram or breast scan depending on your age. 

The organization said it is important to look out for unusual persistent changes in the breasts such as skin changes like rash, redness, dimpling or thickening as well as persistent pain in the breast, abnormal nipple discharge or cracked nipples. These signs should not be ignored and warrant the attention of a physician, the article said.

Studies show that the cause of breast cancer is unknown but there are known risk factors such as:

• Being a female
  • Aging as a female
  • Obesity
  • Use of tobacco
  • Lack of exercise
  • Excess eating of fatty food
  • Short breastfeeding periods
  • Hormonal imbalance
  • Use of exogenous hormones during menopause
  • Uncontrolled use of oral contraceptives
  • Dense breast 
  • Positive family history of breast cancer

Studies also show a recent trend of an increased incidence of breast cancer in young women aged 20 to 49 years.

Central Michigan University public health graduate student and medical doctor Alina Joseph said it is important to have breast cancer awareness on campus.

"It is crucial to raise awareness of breast cancer on campus to inform students about risk factors, early detection and the importance of routine screenings and self-examinations," Joseph said. "Awareness of breast cancer lessens stigma, promotes mental health resources and creates a safe space for candid conversations. 

"Awareness campaigns promote healthy lifestyle choices and include students in funding and research projects, ultimately enabling people to take control of their health and fostering a supportive campus environment."

Rachel Mellon is the vice president of Philanthropy and Service for the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation (ZTA) sorority at Central Michigan University. 

She said that the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation collaborates with organizations such as the American Cancer Society and the National Football League (NFL) to create awareness, fund research and support women with breast cancer. She said that the sorority has been operating since 1898, with a focus on breast cancer awareness starting in the 1990s. 

“We fight to reduce the number of women diagnosed with breast cancer from 1 in 8 to 0 in 8 cases," Mellon said.

Using pink items, ribbons and pamphlets that encourage early detection and the importance of self-breast examination, ZTA raised awareness of breast cancer during the recently concluded women's soccer vs Ball State University games/neon night at the CMU soccer complex on Oct. 10.

The CMU Student Government Association (SGA) unites with the International Student Organization (ISO), the Susan G Komen Foundation, the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation and the Pink Africa Foundation to raise breast cancer awareness on campus during the SGA meeting on Monday, Oct. 21 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. All students on campus are invited.