Interim Provost Lancaster asks faculty to 'lend a hand' to struggling students

pete-souza-5

President Bob Davies (left) and Interim Provost Paula Lancaster (right) deliver their joint report at the Oct. 15 academic senate meeting. (CM-Life | Blace Carpenter)

Two days into midterms, Central Michigan University Interim Provost Paula Lancaster encouraged faculty members to help students who may be struggling during this part of the semester. 

She stated that this can be a hard time for students to stay motivated, and encouraged faculty to also take care of themselves as the semester continues during her joint report at the Oct. 15 Academic Senate meeting.  

“We know that this is the time when students can often start to show a little fatigue, start to show a little bit more stress and anxiety,” Lancaster said. “This serves as a reminder to lend a hand where they need it. … Cold and flu season will be upon us any moment, so be good to yourselves as well.”

In a written message to the senate, Lancaster and outgoing President Bob Davies thanked faculty for their “work, dedication and commitment” to their students. 

Concerns of paved trails in Veit’s Woods Park 

Senator Mary Senter shared concerns about the ecological impact of paved bike trails in CMU’s Viet’s Woods. After hearing the proposal in one of Mount Pleasant’s commission candidates' forums, Senter wanted confirmation and more information about the trail’s construction. 

“Was any consideration given to the impact of paving on the ecology of the area?” Senter, a professor of sociology in the School of Politics, Society, Justice and Public Service, wrote. “Was consideration given to the dangers of bicycles on Crawford and Broomfield roads (exiting the Woods)? ..."

Davies confirmed the proposal, stating that CMU's Board of Trustees passed a resolution titled Veit’s Woods easement in February. This easement will construct “improved pathways connecting CMU property and property known as White Woods to property owned by the city” 

Davies asked Senator Lawrence Lemke, who has a background in geology and environmental science, to address the concerns and interests of this project's environmental issues. 

“The main ecological concerns that we talked about were maintaining the natural environment in the park to the greatest extent possible,” said Lemke. He spent time surveying the area with Mount Pleasant Parks and Recreation Director Philip Biscorner. 

Lemke said that the city wants to control areas of erosion and prevent the closure of some of the park’s floodplains. 

“The city’s solution that they are considering, included some raised boardwalks along sensitive parts of the park, (and) some abutments to help control the erosion, both along the river and the stepper portion of the pathways,” Lemke said. 

He explained that the city was open to using a more ecologically friendly pavement than asphalt. He stated that these are all proposals, and nothing is determined completely at this time. 

Davies said that construction will begin in the spring and summer of 2027. 

Davies thanks the Senate

After six-and-a-half years serving as CMU’s president, Davies gave his final report to the Academic Senate during the meeting. The outgoing president expressed gratitude and shared some accomplishments the university has achieved during his time. 

“I do want to say thank you for the past six-and-a-half years of working together, of having discussions -- having robust discussions,” Davies said. “It’s well known that we agreed on most things. We do not agree on everything. And that’s ok because when we disagreed, we talked about it.”

Before the report, Senator Tracy Davis asked the senate to adopt a resolution to commend Davies for his work. 

“President Davies led the university during the unprecedented Covid pandemic, facilitating rapid movements to changes in teaching modalities, updating policies associated with course credits and withdrawals and providing departments flexibility in the methods of course delivery,” Davis said. 

“We therefore resolved that the entire Academic Senate of Central Michigan University, consisting of students, faculty and administration, express its sincere and deepest appreciation to President Robert O. Davies for his dedicated service."

Many faculty members awarded during the meeting

During the meeting, both Davies and Lancaster handed a number of various awards to faculty members. Both congratulated the recipients for their work at CMU and contributions to the institutions.

Here are the recipients:

• Associate professor and director of the Recreational Therapy and Rehabilitation program Shay Dawson, The 2024 Distinguished Professor of the Year award by the Michigan Association of State Universities (MASU)
  • Professor Marybeth Minnis, CMU’s institutional nominee of the 2023-24 MAC Outstanding Faculty Award for Student Success.

Davies also recognized Senators Phil Squattrito and Megan Goodwin for their commitment to CMU. Goodwin has served the university for 40 years and Squattrito has for 35 years. Both were given awards for their work. 

Future Academic Senate meetings will occur at 3:30 p.m. every other Tuesday at the Education and Human Services building in the French Auditorium. Livestreams of this meeting and all future meetings can be found on CMU’s website.