'Young voters will deliver the outcome here in Michigan'

Elizabeth Warren delivers fervent speech for Harris at CMU, urges voters to vote blue

elizabeth-warren-jpg1

U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) delivers a speech on behalf of Vice President Kamala Harris's campiagn, urging voters to support Democrats. She spoke on Saturday, Oct. 19, in Powers Hall at Central Michigan University. (CM Life | Blace Carpenter)

United States Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) gave a fervent speech this past Saturday, Oct. 19, at Central Michigan University, criticizing former President Donald Trump and voicing her concerns if he is re-elected. 

Warren, who traveled to CMU on behalf of the Harris/Walz campaign, spoke to an audience of over 50 people on why she supports Vice President Kamala Harris. 

“Kamala Harris as president will fight for us, and that’s why I’m here to fight for her,” Warren said. 

Warren gave an agenda that Democrats will follow if they win the majority. 

“Week number one, we go back to a world where we say, ‘Oh, our people are treated equally,’” Warren said. “Week number two, we’re going to double down on democracy.”

Warren explained that they will pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act to protect voting rights and expand absentee and early voting; pass the PRO Act to protect unions; and get rid of the current filibuster in the senate so they can protect reproductive health rights.

Michigan has been a battleground for both Harris and Trump’s campaigns as Election Day approaches, with both candidates visiting the state on Oct.18. The senator praised Michigan for pushing abortion rights during its midterm election back in 2022. 

U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) poses for a photo with supports after delivering a speech on behalf of Vice President Kamala Harris's campaign on Saturday, Oct. 19 in Powers Hall at Central Michigan University.

“You showed the entire nation two years ago what it means to have abortion on the ballot,” Warren said. “You stepped up, you did the hard work.” 

She urged supporters to vote down the Democratic party ballot. 

Ingrid Salomov, 67 of Mount Pleasant said that she has always been a supporter of Warren since her run for president in the 2020 Election. Salomov said it is disheartening to see abortion rights be restricted across the country again and wants to help change that. 

“I’m tired of fighting the same battles I fought 50 years ago,” Salomov said. “I remember when it wasn’t legal. … It's all very disturbing. I feel like this is the battle for democracy.” 

She said that one of the first things she did when she turned 18 was register to vote. She urges younger generations to register and vote in this year’s election. 

“I hope that you guys are listening and paying attention, because this is big,” Salomov said. 

Freshman Noah Moore is a first-time voter in this election cycle. He said it's important that him and younger generations vote. He voiced his support for Warren and Harris and suggested that other young voters do research on what they are voting for. 

“There are a lot of different guides out there, like Vote 411, where they can compare and contrast all these people,” Moore said. 

Warren says that the election is in the hands of young voters.

“Young voters will determine the outcome here in Michigan, and that means they very well may determine the outcome for the entire country,” Warren said. “The issues on the line are abortion, LGBTQ+ issues, how we treat immigrants and people who don’t just look like us or who didn’t grow up in the same way we did.” 

In Michigan, voters can register to vote through Nov. 5. Registration can be completed online, by mail or in person at a local clerk's office. To check for registration and ballot information, visit Michigan's website.