Keepin' it sweet

For Marion Lukes and Myles Bailey, friendship exceeds football.

d-m-m-duo-feature-photo-9-10-24-02

Senior running backs Myles Bailey, left, and Marion Lukes, right, pose for a portrait Tuesday, Sept. 10 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. (CM-Life | Ella Miller) 

In a small town like Mount Pleasant, a brotherhood can form in the most unexpected places. For the Central Michigan football running backs Marion Lukes and Myles Bailey, their bond was forged in the heat of competition, the familiarity of shared experiences and the hunger for greatness. 

Lukes and Bailey were both born in Virginia and found their way to Michigan through different paths. They are now entering their senior years with each other. They’ve grown from talented freshmen into team veterans, with a friendship that fuels their on-field performance and inspires those around them.

From Virginia to Central Michigan

Bailey’s introduction to football came early, thanks to his father, a former Division I athlete. Moving to New Jersey at the age of 9, Bailey’s talent quickly made him a standout.

“I was a three-star coming out of high school,” Bailey recalls. “I had Power Five offers, but ultimately, it came down to Central Michigan and Toledo.” 

A visit from Central Michigan’s head coach sealed the deal for Bailey, who appreciated the family-like atmosphere of the program.

Lukes, on the other hand, had a different journey. Coming from a family of 12, Lukes was surrounded by athletes in every sport. 

“Football wasn’t even my first sport, I played baseball,” Lukes said. “I started playing football when I was 5 and I was always pretty good, I guess. They used to limit how much I could play when I was younger because I would score every time I touched the football.”

Growing up in Indiana, he was recruited by several schools that wanted him to switch positions, but Lukes was determined to play running back. With the choice between three different schools, an opportunity to see the Chippewas’ heavy running game at the time solidified his decision.

“Coach Mac was a blessing to be around at the time,” Lukes said. “I had a son when I was 15 years old, so my biggest thing was I wasn’t trying to move away from him too far, and he made that seven-hour drive not feel so much like seven hours away.”

While many expected competitions between the two young running backs, their connection was immediate—though it started with a bit of a mix-up. 

“He took my dorm room,” Bailey laughed. “We switched keys by accident. 

“Coming in, I thought we were going to be rivals. but it turned into more friendly competition as we progressed. I was learning from him … through time we became friendly competitors to brothers. I love him, he has my back, and I got his.”

Learning and growing along the way

Lukes and Bailey have not only matured as athletes but also as individuals. Their time at Central Michigan has been a journey of discovery and self-improvement. Lukes reflected on his early days, where youthful confidence was replaced with an understanding of the discipline required for success. 

“When you first come in, you’re young and think you’re invincible,” he explained. “But over time, you learn the importance of the little things — like stretching, watching film and taking care of your body.” 

Lukes credits much of his growth to observing his mentors, particulary Chippewa alumnus Lew Nichols, whose work ethic and dedication left a lasting impact on him.

Bailey, too, saw his transformation extend beyond football. 

“I was a little immature as a freshman,” he admitted. “I wanted to live the college life, but then I realized I wanted to play. I got deeper into the playbook, and in life, I started reading and writing more. It’s the little things you must do to be successful.”

Their off-field adventures further solidified their bond, with one memorable experience being a camping trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes. 

“We didn’t know you needed a permit to camp,” Lukes said. “We woke up to find a police officer outside our tent, and he gave us $80 tickets. But it was still one of the best experiences.” 

“It was like a big playground for us,” Bailey said. “We went hiking, fishing and just had fun.” 

Together, their journey at Central Michigan has been about more than just football — it’s been about personal growth, friendship and shared memories that will last a lifetime.

The M&M celebration and what’s next

In their freshman year, Lukes and Bailey began a tradition known as the “M&M Celebration” after their shared initials. Every touchdown they scored would be celebrated by throwing the candy in the end zone.

“We joked about how cool it would be to get sponsored by M&M,” Bailey said. “We’re still waiting for that email.”

As they look toward the future, their goals are clear: the NFL. 

“There’s no ‘attempt’ for us,” Lukes said. “Plan A is to make it to the NFL. Plan B is to make sure Plan A works.”

“We’ve been playing since we were kids. Our bodies hurt every day, but this is what we love,” Bailey said. “The NFL is the dream, even if it’s just for one day.”

As they enter their final season, Lukes and Bailey are already thinking about their legacy and what they want to leave behind for the younger players. 

“Focus on doing what’s right,” Bailey said. “You’re in a small environment, and if you’re looking for trouble, you’ll find it. But if you focus on your goals, you can accomplish anything.”

Lukes said to take things day-by-day. 

“It feels like just yesterday we were freshmen,” Lukes said. “Enjoy the moment because it doesn’t last forever.”

For these two running backs, despite their final year playing together, there is one thing that won’t change.

“Stay tuned,” Lukes said. “Even when we separate, M&M is always going to be strong. You’ll catch us both in the league, I can promise you that.”