CMU soccer beats NIU to get first MAC road win

d-soccervsakron-photo-09-22-24-5

Central Michigan University sophomore defender Caitlin Gill interacts with bench players as an out-of-bounds call goes in their favor, Saturday, Sept. 22 in the CMU Soccer Complex. (CM-Life | Mark Hoover)

Central Michigan women’s soccer shutout Northern Illinois, 2-0 for its first Mid-American Conference win away from Mount Pleasant on Thursday. 

CMU fought back from a slow start to the season to bring their record back to .500. The Chippewas sit 4-4-2 overall and 2-0-1 in conference play. 

After starting the year with one win in their first six games, the Chippewas have rattled off four games in a row without a loss, having three wins and a tie. 

The game remained scoreless in the first half, but early into the second half Jocelin Zimmerer capitalized on a cross kick from Lauren Walker to make the game 1-0 in favor of the Chippewas. 

Shortly after, in the 60th minute, Rachel Jackson continued the momentum for CMU when she scored a header from inside the box on a cross from Ashley Scesniak. 

The game wound down and when the clock hit zero the score remained 2-0 to give the Chippewas the win. 

Goalkeeper Allison LaPoint continued her success at the net, not letting in a goal as the Huskies had two shots on goal.

Central Michigan returns home as it faces off against rival Western Michigan on Sunday at 1 p.m.