Tristan Mattson earns player of the week after game-winning kick

d-footballvsnotredame-feature-photo-9-16-23-08
Redshirt junior placekicker Tristan Mattson watches from the sidelines during a game against Notre Dame, Saturday, Sept. 16 at Notre Dame Stadium in Indiana. Mattson previously played for Arkansas State.

After securing the game-winning kick against San Diego State University on Saturday, redshirt senior kicker Tristan Mattson earned Mid-American Conference Co-Special Teams Player of the Week. 

The 46-yard kick to seal the 22-21 win for the Chippewas was the third game-winner of Mattson’s career. 

Mattson also secured two more field goals against the Aztecs, nailing 25-yard and 34-yard field goals earlier in the matchup. The performance marked seven straight field goals made, a career best for Mattson. 

He has gone 8-for-9 in field goal attempts this year, already surpassing his total field goals made from last year (seven). 

In his two-year career with CMU, Mattson has made 15 of his 23 field goal attempts, with a long of 58 yards. 

The win against SDSU moved the Chippewas’ record to 3-2 overall, and they remained undefeated at home. 

After a bye week, CMU hopes to continue the success at home when it faces off against Ohio University at 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12., at Kelly/Shorts Stadium for the homecoming game.