CMU volleyball rolls over Miami (Ohio), starts MAC play 2-0

d-volleyballvsgreenbay-photo-9-14-24-2
The CMU volleyball team huddles together in a game against Green Bay, Saturday, Sept. 14, in McGuirk Arena. (CM-Life | Jo Kenoshmeg)

Central Michigan volleyball kicked off Mid-American Conference play against the Miami (Ohio) Redhawks in a two game series where it went 2-0, bringing its overall record to 11-3. 

The Chippewas struck first, showing no mercy and was a force to be reckoned with, as they took both matches in straight sets.

Match 1

In the first match, CMU won by the scores of 25-8, 25-14, and 25-19. Highlighted by a 16-0 run in the first set.

The team only recorded four attack errors and hit an efficient .382 while holding the Redhawks to a .055 hitting percentage. 

Senior opposite Krystina Kasson and junior outside hitter Natalia Rejment combined for 24 kills. Rejment and junior setter Allie Korba also recorded their seventh double double of the season.

Match 2

CMU continued its success into the next day as it defeated the RedHawks in three-straight sets (25-18, 25-18, and 25-19).

Kasson led the team in kills with 16. Korba continued her success in all aspects of the game with a combined six kills, two service aces, 20 digs, and 65 assists in just two games.

As a team, CMU hit at .336 percent while holding the Redhawks to a .075 hitting percentage on the weekend.

“We really played great all weekend, it was a team effort in all phases of the game," head coach Mike Gawlik said. “Krystina Kasson had 28 kills with zero errors on the weekend to hit .651, that’s insanely high, and Allie Korba lead our offensive attack to .333 all weekend as our setter." 

The Chippewas come home for a game against Eastern Michigan on Tuesday at 6 p.m. 

"Quick turnaround to get ready for Eastern Michigan on Tuesday, but really pleased with our start to conference play,” Gawlik said.