CMU volleyball goes 2-1 to wrap up non-conference play

d-volleyballvsgreenbay-photo-9-14-24-1
CMU senior opposite hitter Krystina Kasson hits the ball over the net in a match against Green Bay, Saturday, Sept. 14, in McGuirk Arena. (CM-Life | Jo Kenoshmeg)

Central Michigan volleyball traveled to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania this past weekend to compete in the Duquesne/Robert Morris Invitational where it went 2-1, bringing its overall record to 9-3.

Match 1

The Chippewas opened the tournament with a win against Canisius in straight sets (25-16, 25-17, 25-17).

The team played a clean game, only recording 14 attack errors and three service errors. Two areas that CMU struggled with last week.

The Chippewas had an efficient hitting night, with a team hitting percentage of .306, while also holding the Griffins to .061 percent.

Match 2

Central Michigan continued its winning ways into match two, winning 3-1 against Duquesne.

After leading by eight midway through the first set, CMU would later give up an 8-0 run that helped the Dukes take set one 25-22.

Down one early in set two, the Chippewas went on a 7-0 run to take the lead. They wouldn’t relinquish the lead this time as they took set two 25-20.

Set three started close, until CMU used a 6-0 run to create some distance. The Dukes were able to keep it close down the stretch, but CMU was able to squeak past them 25-23.

The Chippewas got out to an early lead in set four, but Duquesne stuck around and later tied the match at 20. It wouldn't be enough though as Central Michigan closed it out with a 5-1 run to win the set 25-21.

Freshman outside hitter Izzy Swiercz had a breakout performance, leading the team in kills with 16. 

“Izzy had a good weekend, in particular, she had a really great first two matches,” head coach Mike Gawlik said. “Played really great last night and helped us on the road win... against Duquesne, and as a young player, she's growing every match that she gets an opportunity to play in. 

"I think she's still searching for some of that consistency, but it was a really good match for her, obviously a career high with 16 kills last night. She's been a bright spot for us as she's continued to gain experience.”

Junior outside hitter Natalia Rejment and junior setter Allie Korba also continued to put up big numbers as both recorded their fifth double-double of the season. Regiment had 10 kills and 10 digs, while Korba had 24 assists and 13 digs.

Match 3

In the final match of the weekend, CMU faced Robert Morris, where it fell in four sets 3-1.

The Chippewas were never really able to find a groove as they just couldn’t keep up with the Colonials' offensive attack.

Central Michigan dropped set one 25-17 before immediately responding to win their lone set of the match 25-19.

After that, Robert Morris blitzed CMU, winning sets three and four, 25-22 and 25-16.

Freshman defensive specialist Hannah Langton led the team in digs with 23. Rejment and redshirt junior middle blocker/outside hitter Abby Olin combined for 30 kills. 

Korba and Rejment also recorded their sixth double-double of the season.

The Chippews start Mid-American Conference Play next week as they head to Oxford, Ohio to take on the Miami (Ohio) Redhawks in a two-game series starting Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

“Coming out of the pre-conference schedule at 9-3, we’re still learning a lot about our group and what it takes to win,” Gawlik said. “Going into MAC play, we’re going to need to be even better. We’ve done some really nice things, we’ve leaned on a lot of different people.

"I think our goal as we enter MAC play is to get a few more people to be major contributors more consistently. If we can get more people going at one time we’re gonna be pretty tough to beat.”