CMU volleyball goes 1-2 in home tournament

d-volleyballvsgreenbay-photo-9-14-24-4
CMU senior opposite hitter Krystina Kasson celebrates with her team during a game against Green Bay, Saturday, Sept. 14, in McGuirk Arena. (CM-Life | Jo Kenoshmeg)

Central Michigan volleyball’s undefeated start to the season came to an end at the Chippewa Invitational this past weekend as it went 1-2, bringing its overall record to 7-2.

Match 1

The Chippewas opened up the tournament against Eastern Kentucky on Friday, looking to continue the unbeaten start. 

Set one was tight the whole way with eight lead changes and 17 ties. EKU and CMU battled it out down the home stretch, going tit for tat. Until finally the Colonels broke free and scored two-straight, winning the set 29-27. This marks the first time Central Michigan has lost set one this season.

In set two, the Chippewas got out to an 11-3 start. They went wire-to-wire as they led from start to finish to CMU take set two 25-21.

Similar to set one, the score was tight with eight lead changes and 15 ties. Once again EKU scored two-straight to secure match point and get the set three victory 25-23.

Exactly like set two, the Chippewas got out to the hot start, leading 11-3 to start. But this time the Colonels responded. EKU was able to tie it up at 18, but the last few points were tough. Both teams trading blows, but it was Central Michigan who came out on top, winning set four 25-23 and forcing a fifth set.

The Colonels came into set five looking to end it, which put CMU on their heels early. The Chippewas were never able to recover and EKU took set five 15-11. Central Michigan lost their first match of the season in a hard-fought battle.

“We have to be on the attack instead of be on the defense,” head coach Mike Gawlik said. “I felt like today we were defensive a little bit, hoping that the other team was gonna give us free points and hoping that what we were doing was enough instead of being the aggressor. So, I’m hoping that coming out of this match into this afternoon's match, we can be the aggressive team from start to finish.”

Match 2

After dropping the first match, the Chippewas rebounded in the second match on Friday when it defeated Southeast Missouri State, 3-1.  

Set one was close, SEMO jumped out to an early lead but CMU responded. Tied at 17, the Chippewas went on an 8-2 run to win the set.

The Redhawks came back and took set two 25-23, but Central Michigan ran away with sets three (25-18) and four (25-16)  to win the match.

Junior setter Allie Korba and junior outside hitter Natalia Rejment both recorded their fourth double-double of the season. Korba had 28 assists and 11 digs, while Rejment had 11 kills and 15 digs.

“We have to separate two matches from each other,” Gawlik said. “Obviously we didn’t get the win this morning, but we have to separate, reset, and prepare as if it's a brand new match because that's exactly what it is. 

"We can't carry the burden of what we did this morning with us, I thought our recovery was good, we had a good game plan, and I thought we executed that pretty well.”

Match 3

To close out the tournament CMU took on Green Bay on Saturday where it fell in a five set showdown. 

Green Bay led early in set one, but then the Chippewas got on a roll and took the lead. The Phoenix tied it up late, but CMU closed it out with a 3-0 run to take set one 25-22.

In set two, the Chippewas were just a step behind as Green Bay led from start to finish winning the set 25-21.

Green Bay eeked out a close set three 25-23, but Central Michigan took set four 25-21, forcing a set five.

CMU got out to a slow start in set five, but they fought back to get within one. It was too little too late though as the Phoenix closed it out 15-12 to win the set and the match.

“We gotta get better this week, and we’re gonna put time into it. It just felt like we were bare in some areas,” Gawlik said. “I thought we just got exposed a little bit today, and that's something that we’re gonna use as motivation to kinda get us ready for next week.”

Senior opposite Krystina Kasson had a strong offensive weekend totaling 55 kills.

“I thought Kass just had a really breakout weekend offensively, she carries a big load for us,” Gawlik said. “I thought she had some big swings in crunch moments. 

"I thought Abby (Olin) had a really great weekend, I thought Grace(Thomas) had a really great weekend offensively. Other people contributed, had a good match, had a good two matches, but I thought Krystina was one of our more consistent players all weekend.”

CMU is back on the road next weekend as it wraps up non-conference play in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for the Duquesne/Robert Morris Invitational. Match one starts at 11 a.m. on Friday.