"Anyone is welcome here no matter who you are"

“Welcome Back Carne Asada” event builds community and friendships on campus

carneasada1
Students eat and play musical chairs on Friday, Sept. 20 in the NIRSA Room at the Student Activities Center.

The sound of laughter, chatter and competitive banter could be heard down the hall from the NIRSA Room at the Student Activities Center (SAC) Friday as students prepare for a game of musical chairs. The smell of beef, rice and beans coated the room as students jumped in line to receive their plates of food.  

This was the site of 4th Annual “Welcome Back Carne Asada” event hosted by the Multicultural Academic Student Services (MASS) Office.   

Vice President of the Empowered Latino Union (ELU), Megan Fisk said they have received help from different members of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), the MASS Office and the local community.  

“We have Alex (Alejandro Gradilla), the Assistant Director of Latinx/Hispanic American Student Engagement, cooking with us and police officers from the community getting involved as well,” Fisk said. “They are just in the kitchen laughing and having fun.”     

President of ELU Itzel Neri said she recognizes that Central Michigan University (CMU) is a predominantly white institution (PWI) and wanted to create a space for Latines and Hispanics entering CMU.  

“This is where a lot of us get to meet each other for the first time, build friendships and build a community where we can embrace our culture,” Neri said. “Anyone is welcome here no matter who you are.”

She said the event is a chance to meet members of organizations such as Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) and ELU.      

Neri said the goal of the “Welcome Back Carne Asada” event is to recreate a cookout with traditional dishes, music, dancing and conversation.

“It’s just like family bonding time so we try to provide that same vibe,” she said. “We have people grilling the meat, activities for entertainment and a band this year coordinated by the CMU Program Board.”   

According to an article by VOLVERDE, the term carne asada translates to “grilled meat”, coming from the significant culinary heritage in northern Mexico.  In recent years, it has turned into a meaningful gathering of people with the purpose of exploring cultural differences.   

Neri said traditional dishes include tacos, fajitas and quesadillas. Food for this event was provided by Los Aztecas Mexican Grill and Bar here in Mount Pleasant.

Lauren Smits is a freshman studying early childhood education at CMU.  She said she heard of this event through a friend and thought it would be fun to see what the environment was like.   

“It’s important to get involved and explore other diverse cultures … to grow a better understanding of different communities,” Smits said.  

Neri said anyone is welcome to these types of events.  

“You don't have to be Hispanic or Latino to be in these areas,” she said. “It’s just a fun way to get to meet other people from different ethnicities, different cultures and different backgrounds.”