Maintaining Mission Street: city plans to make the road safer

A street sign of Mission Street, the road the city has upcoming plans for to boost economic and community growth. 

Potential design concepts for Mission Street will be presented to the community in three diffrent opportunities on Sept. 26. 

The City of Mount Pleasant contracted with Progressive Companies to lead the development of an improvement plan for Mission Street Manuela Powidayko, the director of Planning and Community Development, said.

“The intention is to create a planning document that would have the preferred design options for Mission Street in order for the city and the state to seek funding for implementation in the future,“ Powidayko said.

Drivers pass through the intersection of Mission and Broadway Streets on Wednesday, May 15. The Mission Street corridor is currently being reviewed by a steering committee for ideas to improve pedestrian and cyclist safety, to reduce congestion and to improve accessibility, among others.

Powidayko said they wanted to create a more detailed plan that would make Mission Street safer for all road users. Due to the south portion of Mission being adjacent to Central Michigan University, they wanted to get students involved in this process. 

“We do want to make sure that we are talking with students to collect their feedback and ensure that the design that we would be moving forward with in the future is tailored to that population, and making sure that students can be safer when traversing along Mission Street,” Powidayko said.

CMU students can view the plans and provide feedback from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. on Sept. 26 in the Bovee University Center. Participants will be placed in a drawing for CMU Bookstore gift cards. 

Additionally, Progressive Companies will be hosting sessions at the Farmers’ Market at Island Park, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. As well as an Open House at City Hall from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

“It's very important to us to get the students' feedback,” Powidayko said. “Anything that the students can share in terms of what will make this corridor amazing that would attract the youth and attract maybe some more nightlife or whatever that students feel we are lacking right now.”

After these events, the city is planning to release a survey for anybody who is not able to attend in person.