Exploring job opportunities for health and social workers

Health and Human Services Expo hosted over 20 organizations at Central Michigan University

d-healthexpo-photo-09-19-24-3
Students walk through various booths on Thursday, Sept. 19 in the Bovee University Rotunda. (CM-Life | Mark Hoover)

Over 20 organizations joined the Health and Human Services Expo at Central Michigan University on Sept. 19.

Associate Professor Lissa Schwander said the goal of the event was to introduce new and first-year students to local agencies and opportunities in health and human services.

Schwander said that this is the second year of the expo, and there is already an increase in student participation compared to the previous year.

Dr. Lissa Schwander poses for a picture on Thursday, Sept. 19 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. (CM-Life | Mark Hoover)

She said the internships for social work students are important for career progression, education and work prospects within and outside of CMU. She advised aspiring social workers to get involved, vote, and connect their skills with community agencies.

Some of the organizations that participated in the expo were:

Adoption Option Inc. 

Ayana Haynes, a family preservation supervisor, said the Adoption Option Inc. is a child welfare organization based in Midland. 

Haynes said it offers various services including adoption, foster care licensing and parenting life skills program.

She said there are volunteer and internship opportunities available, and interested students can send their applications to Sarah Glazier at sgeis@aoicw.org.

Central Michigan University sophomores Jay Underwood (left) and Evan Rubenacker-O’Dell (right) talk to attendants at a booth on Thursday, Sept.19 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. (CM-Life | Mark Hoover)

Isabella Community Soup Kitchen

Sarah Adkins, the executive director of the Isabella Community Soup Kitchen, said the organization provides free meals, continental breakfast and hot lunch to public. It is available for dine-in or takeout from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday.

They welcome volunteers. Volunteers have to have a background check and be 16 years or older, with exceptions for those under 16 years, if accompanied by an adult. For contacts on volunteering, call  989-772-7392 or email info@icsk.org.

Gratiot Integrated Health Network

Alan Osburn, the human resource manager at Gratiot Integrated Health Network, said the network is based in Alma and provides mental health services for all age groups, including counseling and home-based care. He said they have comprehensive programs and services, including impairments and developmental disabilities.

Those who are interested can contact Alan at aosburn@GHIN-MI.org.

Some other organizations at the event were as follows to mention a few:

• Isabella County Commission on Aging
  • Child Advocacy Gratiot County
  • RISE Advocacy
  • Listening Ear Crisis Center
  • Laurels
  • Anishnaabeg Child and Family Services