CMU field hockey struggles on the road

Central Michigan loses second conference game

d-fieldhockeyvsmichigan-photo-9-15-2024-06
Central Michigan's graduate midfielder Hannah Havrilla runs with the ball during a game against Michigan on Sunday, Sept. 15 at Phyllis Ocker Field in Ann Arbor, MI. Havrilla was one of the game's starters. (Marie Underwood | CM-Life)

Coming out of halftime, Central Michigan field hockey needed something big to happen. Down two goals, and being out-shot on offense, the Chippewas finally caught a break. 

After being awarded a penalty corner opportunity, junior forward Mallory Camryn took a pass from teammates junior forward Shannon Dwyer and senior backer Simone Potgieter, and scored her second goal of the game to bring the Chippewas closer to James Madison.

However, Camryn’s two goal game wasn’t enough, as the Dukes went on to win the game 3-2 on Friday. 

This game was the first home match for James Madison as part of the Mid-American Conference. The last time Central Michigan and James Madison met was back in 1990, when the Dukes beat the Chippewas 3-1.

It was a wet, windy game as weather conditions made the match more challenging for the players. It was raining for much of the game. 

Regardless, James Madison was able to control the game early, scoring the first three goals and playing stifling defense. 

James Madison got out to a quick lead as the game started. Senior forward Samantha Grimes scored her first goal of the season just three minutes into the game to grab the lead for the Dukes.

The Dukes continued to apply pressure throughout the first quarter. James Madsion out-shot the Chippewas 11-0 in the period, smothering Central Michigan on defense. 

In the second quarter, James Madison added to their lead. Freshman midfielder/forward Lilly Turner found the net for the Dukes about 18 minutes into the match, increasing the score to 2-1. A little more than four minutes later, junior midfielder Alice Roeper tacked on a third goal for the Dukes, taking control of the game.

The Chippewas finally found the net late in the second quarter. On the Chippewa’s first shot of the game, Camryn found the net for her first goal, assisted by a pass from sophomore forward Zoey Emrick. 

The Dukes defended their 3-1 lead going into halftime.

Early in the third quarter, the Chippewas were given their second penalty corner attempt of the game. Central Michigan made the most of their chance as Camryn took the pass from her teammates and shot the ball past the goaltender for the Chippewas' second goal of the game.

At that point in the game, CMI had made the most of its only two shot attempts, scoring both of them.

The fourth quarter featured both teams looking to gain an edge over their opponent. Central Michigan continued to struggle with getting shot attempts, as itcould only manage one in both the third and fourth quarters.

The Chippewas again pulled their goalkeeper late, like last game, to add an attacker to the mix. Along with the strategy call, James Madison redshirt-sophomore defender Maddie Tierney was given a green card in the last minute, resulting in the Chippewas having two extra attackers on the field. 

However, Central Michigan was unable to even the score, and fell to the Dukes.

The Chippewas are now 0-2 in conference play and will look to rebound in their game against Appalachian State on Sunday in North Carolina.