CMU field hockey struggles against Maine

Central Michigan fall 2-0 to the University of Maine

d-fieldhockeyvohiouniversity-photo-10-01-23-0110

CMU and Ohio University field hockey players compete against each other, Friday, Oct. 13, at Cristy Freese Field. (CM-Life | Rebecca Particka) 

Late in the third quarter, University of Maine forward Kate Richardson took the ball and shot it upfield to sophomore forward Saylor Kuefler. Kuefler, wide open on the turf, corralled the pass and shot it on the net to score the Black Bear’s second goal of the afternoon, putting the game out of reach for Central Michigan field hockey.    

CMU played its second game of the weekend against Maine in a matchup Sunday afternoon. Both teams, coming off victories in their last outings and touting the same 3-1 record, were eager to add a win to the column. 

The Chippewas were outmatched by the Black Bears who were dominant throughout the game, losing the match 2-0. 

Central Michigan falls to 3-2 on the season, having split the weekend games.

The Chippewas started the game strong, with a shot taken early that bounced off the post. Despite putting early pressure on the Black Bears, the Chippewas found themselves trapped on their end of the turf for much of the period, unable to clear the ball.

The Black Bears had the best chance of the quarter when a penalty corner shot found its way past the goaltender. However, the goal was called off by the referee leaving the score tied at zero. Maine was the aggressor in the first period, rifling off a total of five shots compared to CMU’s one.

Maine scored the first goal of the match four minutes into the second quarter. Richardson handled a centering pass from senior midfielder Bhreagh Kennedy right in front of the goal to put the ball into the net. 

With the momentum suddenly on their side, Maine quickly applied pressure to the Chippewas, taking numerous shots and keeping Central Michigan pinned in its defensive zone.

The Chippewas were finally given a penalty corner opportunity late in the first half. Junior forward Mallory Camryn, who played for the Black Bears last season before coming to CMU was able to put the ball in the net. 

However, the goal call would be reversed by the referees after taking a closer look, determining that Camryn’s stick was too high, making it an illegal shot. Having struggled with turnovers and possession, the Chippewas found themselves behind going into halftime, down 1-0.

Both teams came out of the break having a little more offensive success and an increase in penalty corner chances throughout the third quarter.

About seven minutes into the second half, junior forward Shannon Dwyer was given a yellow card for a penalty, leaving the Chippewas shorthanded for five minutes. Despite being down a player, CMU’s defense stepped up and kept the Black Bears at bay.

Nonetheless, with a minute and a half left in the third, Richardson found Kuefler for Maine’s second and final goal of the game.

The Chippewas were unable to get anything going in the final minutes of the match. Senior midfielder Kaitlyn Bowker was given a green card late, making a comeback difficult for CMU as time was winding down. 

The Chippewas finished the game outshot by Maine 16-5. The Black Bears also had 11 penalty corner chances compared to CMU’s four.

Central Michigan will look to get back on track when they play their home opener against Colgate Friday at 4 p.m. at Cristy Freese Field.