CMU field hockey loses heartbreaker in overtime

d-soccervscolgate-photo-09-13-24-1

Central Michigan senior midfielder Kaityln Bowker dribbles past Colgate Senior midfielder Hannah Macrotrigiano on Friday, Sept. 13 at Cristy Freese Field. (CM-Life | Mark Hoover)

With Central Michigan field hockey looking to score a goal, junior forward Mallory Camryn handled a pass from sophomore midfielder Cosima Perleth deep in the shooting circle. 

With a flick of her stick, she shot a lofted ball past the goaltender to score a goal to put the Chippewas up 1-0 against Colgate University on Friday afternoon.

Camryn is off to a hot start this season with her fourth goal on the year. However, it would not be enough against the Raiders as the Chippewas fell 2-1 in their home opener. 

The Raiders were able to find offensive success late in the game, winning its first match of the season and bringing the Chippewas' record to 3-3. 

CMU led the game offensively to begin the first quarter and kept pressure on the Raiders side of the field, out-shooting them 4-2, with three of those shots getting on goal. 

The Chippewas scored the first goal of the game when Camryn found the net just 8:03 into the first quarter.

CMU continued to be aggressive in the second quarter, adding three shots to its total while pinning Colgate deep for much of the period. The Raiders only managed to take a total of three shots in the entire first half, struggling to get into the offensive zone.

The Raiders were able to press the Chippewas with a couple of scoring chances late in the first half, but were unable to capitalize, leaving CMU up at halftime, 1-0. 

After halftime, the two teams locked into a defensive battle, with neither team able to pull away from the other. While the Chippewas were able to out-shoot the Raiders 6-2, they were unable to get the ball past the goalie. The score stayed at 1-0 going into the fourth quarter. 

Colgate began to take control of the game over the final minutes. After numerous chances in front of the net, the Raiders were finally able to score a goal. Junior forward/midfielder Hannah Marcotrigiano found a way to get the ball past the goalkeeper to tie the game with about 10 minutes left. 

With the increase in pressure, the Raiders found a way to close the gap in shot attempts. They out-shot the Chippewas 6-4 in the fourth period, However, after 60 minutes of regulation time, neither team had taken the lead, giving way to overtime.  

Colgate wasted no time, scoring 16 seconds into the extra period. Junior forward/midfielder Anna Lochhead took a pass from junior midfielder Grace Schmelzinger to score the game winning goal, handing CMU its third loss of the season.

CMU struggled with penalty corner attempts throughout the evening. The team was awarded six total attempts, but were unable to score on any of them. 

Colgate junior goalkeeper Claire van Kempen was a big part of the win for the Raiders, making eight total saves and only allowing the one goal.

CMU is on the road on Sunday as it takes on the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor at 1 p.m.