CMU field hockey loses first game of the season

d-fieldhockeyvohiouniversity-photo-10-01-23-0101

Players scramble for the ball during the field hockey match between Central Michigan University and Ohio University, Friday, Oct. 13, at Cristy Freese Field. OU won 5-0. (CM-Life | Rebecca Particka) 

Down 4-1 late in the fourth, Central Michigan field hockey was in trouble against Stonehill College. After struggling to play offense throughout the night, someone needed to step up for the team. 

Desperate for a play to get her team back into the game, senior forward Isabella D'Alessandro took the ball, cradled it with her stick and shot it past the goaltender to score a goal for the Chippewas. 

However, it wasn’t enough as the team was unable to complete the comeback, losing the game 4-2 on Wednesday.

The Chippewas started their season with two straight wins, already totaling more than last season. The loss moves their record to 2-1. 

Fresh off their overtime win against Bellarmine last week, the Chippewas were looking to keep their momentum going. However, the Chippewas struggled to get going offensively.

Both teams began the night with a strong offense. Central Michigan had a total of three shots during the first period, while Stonehill had five. The Chippewas found the net first, with sophomore forward Zoey Emrick shooting the ball past the goalie off of a rebound 11:32 into the game. 

Late in the quarter, the Skyhawks responded with a goal of their own from sophomore forward/midfielder Tyra Stark, assisted by freshman midfielder Emma McGrory.

The second quarter yielded little action. Both teams struggled to get their offenses into scoring positions. Stonehill was able to shoot two shots, with one shot on goal stopped by senior goaltender Coletta Beeler. 

Central Michigan couldn’t muster up much of an attack either, with only one shot on goal in the period. The score at halftime remained tied at one.

After the break, Stonehill was quick to take control of the game. About two minutes into the period, junior forward Makayla Strickulis added to the Skyhawks' lead with her first goal of the season. A little more than four minutes later, Stark scored her second goal of the night, increasing Stonehill’s lead to 3-1.

The Skyhawks stayed aggressive throughout the fourth quarter, stifling the Chippewas on defense. McGrory netted her own goal of the night, building Stonehill’s lead to 4-1. 

Central Michigan managed to score one final goal with about four minutes left in the game off of D'Alessandro’s first goal of the season.

The Skyhawks more than doubled the Chippewas' shot attempts with 16 on the night. Central Michigan could only come up with seven of their own, six of which were shots on goal. 

Despite allowing four goals, Beeler was able to stop seven shot attempts for CMU throughout the game.

The Chippewas will look to rebound this weekend as they stay on the East Coast to play Hofstra and Maine on Saturday and Sunday.