County, state candidates talk about county's budget at meet and greet

image000000
Picture of all candidates at 2024 Meet the Candidates event, taken September 26, 2024

Candidates for positions such as County Commission, Drain Commission and Mount Pleasant School Board met to discuss the financial future of Isabella County after its recent budgeting decisions, as well as citizen wellbeing.

Those who attended got the chance to speak with 19 candidates after the event and decide who would be the best fit for budgeting and transparency in the Mount Pleasant area.

The event took place on Sept. 26 at the Isabella County Commission on Aging. It was organized by the League of Women Voters in Mount Pleasant and the Mount Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce who brought candidates for school and District positions and beyond to talk with citizens of the Mount Pleasant area.

“The reason that I’m running is the finances of the county,” David McGuire, Independent running for County Commissioner in District 5, said. “We’ve been told it's asbestos … Every single year for 10 years in a row they spent more dollars than they had coming in.”

McGuire was one of the candidates who focused on the county’s budgeting in their two-minute speech. Nicole Hagle, Democrat, wrote about the recent 'No' vote on a budget millage and the choices that must be made regarding that.

Frank Engler, Republican, wrote about the asbestos in the Isabella County administration building, saying that “the Board of Commissioners will have to make tough decisions and difficult cuts to get a budget that will balance.”

James Moreno, Democrat, wrote that, “we are now on zero balance accounting that will result in leaner and more sustainable organization” and Dave Verwey, Republican, tied in the need to budget with the need for “impartiality and integrity” in decision-making.

Elizabeth Busch, Maureen Eke and Amy Perschbacher, all non-partisan, are running for City Commission. Busch’s bio stressed the importance of the city’s parks and natural spaces. 

Eke wrote about “diversifying the city’s revenue base,” by supporting housing and development projects that will bring in new residents, jobs and revenue. She said this might mean increasing service fees in parking and utility, though Eke stresses “where necessary and using benchmarks to guide us on the range.”

Perschbacher wrote she would work with local colleges “to provide high technical training” that would draw in businesses. She also mentioned mixed-use buildings (both stores and apartments in a building) to create a higher tax base per acre for the city.

County Drain Commission

In addition to coverage about finances and transparency, other topics came up such as the pollution of PFAS, a synthetic chemical in many consumer products, in Michigan water and recent flooding in Michigan towns.

Ryon Skalitzky, Democrat, and Robert Willoughby, Republican, are running against each other for Isabella County Drain Commission. Willoughby was not present at the event. 

Skalitzky has personal experience dealing with flooding. He said he worked with a team of veterans who traveled the country to help with natural disasters.

Drain Commission candidate, Ryon Skalitzky, poses for a picture during Meet the Candidates event at the Isabella County Commission on Aging, on September 26, 2024

One place he witnessed flooding was Sanford, which went partially underwater when the Sanford lake dam broke. Sanford is 25-30 minutes from Mount Pleasant.

“If you can see a water line in your kitchen cupboards, you need to deal with it,” Skalitzky said. “Push came to shove and it (the flooding) ended up wiping Sanford out. There were a lot of homes that had structural damage.”

He said that many businesses chose to move out, which created a "downward spiral" for the town. Skalitzky said that Sanford doesn’t get as much traffic now.

“The water was so strong it pushed the buildings,” Skalitzky said. “The cars were swept away. Boats were getting left in trees. It was crazy.”

Skalitzky proposed several ideas to deal with flooding during his speech. One was to dig lakes that could collect flooded water until it could be safely released. He said he has also worked with this at the micro-level, draining out his basement in a swamp.

Willoughby is the current Drain Commissioner. His page said, "The mission of the Isabella County Drain Commissioner’s office is to improve and maintain storm water drainage for the public health, safety, convenience and welfare of the Isabella County citizens by using the best management practices for our natural and fiscal resources."

Running for Michigan State House District 92:

Tim Odykirk, Democrat, said he wants to improve education, especially for preschool and college. He also wants to make the community more inclusive and welcoming, according to his written bio and card.

"This is a wonderful place, we have a lot to offer in the farm area, energy area," he said.

Jerry Neyer is “committed to building a better future for Michigan and the region – by working to support and protect families and children while developing a model of state government that is more efficient and accountable to the people it represents,” according to his website.

Running for Isabella County Clerk:

Patty Sandel, Democrat, plans to meet the needs of voters by communicating directly with township clerks, according to her bio.

"I'm familiar with the government process," Sandel said. "With my background in customer service (39 years) I believe I am a people person and a problem-solver."

Minde Lux, Republican, has plans to budget for updating technology for the Concealed Pistol License Reports, Elections and Vital Records, according to her bio.

"I have always given back excess funds because I am a penny pincher when it comes to our budget," Lux said.

Isabella County Road Commission:

There are three candidates running for the road commission, and none of them were present at the event. These candidates are as follows:

• Bob Busch, Democrat
  • Kelly Beltinck, Republican
  • Patrick Recker, Republican

Isabella County Commissioner District 1:

Hagle focused on dealing with the failure of the recent millage proposal, and planning for the future of Isabella County. As a teacher, Hagle said she has a "unique connection with our families" and as a woman she said she is "representation that doesn't exist on the board."

Steven Weber said he's concerned about the budget, and spoke in depth about it at the event.

"Everyone in my District is worried about where the money is going," Weber said. "Keep the spending under control."

City Commission District 2

Bob Campbell, Republican, is the only one running in this district. He talked about the jail, which he said is exceeding the expected cost.

"At the end of the day we need to spend our money a lot more wiser," Campbell said.

Isabella County Commissioner District 4

John Hayes, Democrat, said he has lived in a lot of counties and seen a lot of problems within them, including Isabella County. 

"I am not new to the issues that have been claiming this county for a long time," he said. 

He said his main goals would be to reduce the poverty rate in Mount Pleasant as well as the child poverty rate of Michigan. He also said he wants to deal with pollutants in the lakes.

Frank Engler, Republican, said he thinks one of the most positive things about Isabella County is that residents like recycling. He said he has worked for 35 years for the conservation of the district, recycling materials such as old tires.

Isabella County Commissioner District 5

James Moreno, Democrat, said getting the county budget under control is the biggest challenge, as well as finishing the abatement of asbestos in the administration building. 

"I'm so happy we have a wind turbine farm and solar energy farm and more to come," Moreno said. 

Dave Verwey, Republican, said he would be impartial and honest while planning the long-term budget for the county.

McGuire wrote, “The first issue facing the county is maintaining an appropriate level of road patrol and funding it. Every single year for 10 years in a row they spent more dollars than we had coming in," he said.

“My first priority is to maintain road patrol, the second is to remodel the county building in an efficient and cost effective manner,” he wrote in an email. “Get a grip on the county finances and quit spending more money than comes in.”

Mount Pleasant City Commission

Busch wrote she will seek ways to develop Mount Pleasant by cutting restrictions to allow for new housing, corporate and manufacturing businesses.

Eke wrote she will support new housing and developments to draw businesses and residents into Mount Pleasant. 

"I support respectful and responsible critical conversations to achieve community-centered solutions," she wrote in her bio.

She wrote she would support organizations that address mental health, substance abuse and homelessness issues.

"I do believe in inclusive communities," Eke said. "I was not born here but there are a lot of people who were not born here." 

As a faculty member, Eke works with international students at CMU. 

"I ask critical questions that get us answers that other people sometimes are not able to ask," Eke said.

Perschbacher wrote that she will work with local colleges to provide high technical training, to encourage businesses to move in.

She said her goals are "to not only bring together that town gap that we've had but also to improve our welfare in the Mount Pleasant community."

"My whole goal in life has always been about helping people and that's what I've been doing," Perschbacher said. "I've enjoyed the last six years and I look forward to doing another four."

Candidate Brian Assmann was not present at the event.

Mount Pleasant Public School Board of Education

Madison Chapman has experience as a school psychologist and said she wants to improve student’s experiences as well as faculty's. 

Kristina Marie Hug wrote she wants to improve athletics and educational outcomes, and District collaboration for safety measures.

Melissa Isaac wrote she aims to create equitable funding across the state and ensure that students with the greatest need get the most support.

"My family and my ancestors have lived on this land since time immemorial," Isaac said as a Native American. 

At school she is called 'Protector of the Young.' She has lately filled a vacancy in the treasury. Isaac said she will create pathways for underrepresented and underserved communities.

Tamara Kobylarz wrote she would ensure the long-term sustainability of the district’s educational program, establish the means to regularly get representative feedback from students and faculty and advance the board of education competency through a program of continuous learning.

"There is a time and a place for political agendas and school isn't that," Kobylarz said. 

She said that the community should focus back on the students. 

"I know how important it is to make informed decisions," Kobylarz said. 

She said she wanted to make sure that staff and students got the support they needed, including mental health and safety.

Mount Pleasant Public Schools Board of Education (Partial Term):

Nathaniel Tomson wrote he wants to tackle the issues of public funding from the state, school enrollment with school of choice, test scores and how students rank among their peers. He is a board member and can work with State legislatures, according to his bio.

Tomson said he would revise policies to create "policies that are inclusive and reflective of our community, including our tribal community in Mount Pleasant."

Candidate Derek Snyder was not present at the event.

Union Township Treasurer

Steffany Stine said as treasurer, she will focus on transparency by creating a comprehensive paper trail for every decision she makes during her tenure.

She has participated in Big Brothers, Big Sisters, a mentorship program for youth in the workforce.

"Most everything I've done is child-related," she said. 

She also worked for 34 years at a local credit union.

Lori Rogers said she will use her Facebook page to share her decisions. 

“I will ensure any information regarding any township business is 100% public information,” she wrote in her bio. "As a business owner I can fully appreciate the importance of how funds are handled."

She said she has been visiting the township meetings. 

"I look forward to the opportunity to serve my community," she said.

Union Township Board of Trustees

Tim Lannen, Democrat, wrote that he will focus on the transportation and regulation of water to protect people from pollutants in water.

Miranda Ley, Democrat, wrote she will focus on high-speed internet infrastructure so that people who live in Mount Pleasant will have access, which offers opportunities for education and employment.

James Thering Jr., Democrat, wrote on his Facebook page, “In running for Union Township Trustee, I am a tax-payer representative, rather than a political party. My promise is to work with the other township representatives and local communities to make Union Township the best it can be.”

Candidates Sarvjit Singh Chowdhary, Jeff Brown and Brian Smith were not present at the event.

Additionally, here are the candidates running for US House of Representatives, Second Congressional District:

• Michael Lynch, Democrat
  • John Moolenaar, Republican
  • Ben DeJong, Liberal
  • Scott Adams, US taxpayers party