The pick is in

As the football opener approaches, our sports editors share their predictions for the season

4-dsc-4316

CMU football players huddle together during a time out at the CMU vs. New Hampshire game, Saturday, Sept. 9, in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

As the 2024 season quickly approaches for Central Michigan football, Sports Editor Kaia Zimmerman and Assistant Sports Editor Sydney Neal gave their predictions on how they see the new year panning out for the Chippewas. 

Week 1 vs Central Connecticut State 

Neal: CMU 38, CCSU 13 

Despite the talent at Central Connecticut State University, Central Michigan University is hungry to have a win out of the gate. The talent on the team this season should give them an advantage. All eyes will point to the infamous duo of Marion Lukes and Myles Bailey, both combined will make explosive plays against CCSU. Lastly, home-field advantage. With it not only being the first game of the season but the first home opener since 2022, the crowd will energize the team to perform strong on the field.  

Zimmerman: CMU 27, CCSU 17 

This season opener will be a little different for the Chippewas, compared to last year when they played Michigan State. This year, CMU will stay home to start the season and face an Football Championship Subdivision opponent CCSU that went 3-8 in 2023. Last year, the Chippewas found success at home (4-1), and I see that continuing into the 2024 season, especially in week one. I do see this game being tighter than people expect as it is the first game of the season.  

Week 2 @ Florida International 

Neal: CMU 27, FIU 20 

Both teams have had previous-season trouble, which makes both fight for a win. In the opening of the game, I expect both teams to establish momentum early with FIU scoring first. CMU must establish a solid offense early, their passing game crucial for making plays against FIU’s secondary. CMU has struggled on the road in previous years and will travel a distance to Miami; however, they must lock-in early to maintain dominance in the heat.  

Zimmerman: CMU 30, FIU 20 

FIU is coming into the year with five-straight losing seasons. I think this will be a test to see how the Chippewas perform on the road and if the away struggles continue from last season (1-6). However, I think CMU will overpower the Panthers on the offensive side. FIU’s defense struggled in the previous season, letting up 436.7 yards per game and 190.8 rushing yards. With the running back duo of Bailey and Lukes returning, the Chippewas will defeat the Panthers to start off 2-0. 

Week 3 @ Illinois  

Neal: CMU 17, Illinois 34 

Last season, CMU opened its season up against another Power Five school -- Michigan State. Coming off their first two easier opponents, Illinois will apply pressure early on. Last season, Illinois went 3-6 but had powerful wins over Indiana and Florida Athlantic in the 2023 season but CMU could keep the game competitive by capitalizing on Illinois mistakes early. 

Zimmerman: CMU 13, Illinois 38 

I see the rushing attack for the Chippewas making things hard for the Fighting Illini defense. However, I think after a close first half, Illinois will shut the door on CMU, leading to its first loss of the season. 

Week 4 vs. Ball State  

Neal: CMU 24, Ball State 21 

Despite being easily matched MAC teams, both are looking to break out early in conference season. Both teams have had losing seasons in the past years, so this matchup could go either way. With Ball State having new additions to its defensive line, it’s important for CMU’s offense to attack early. Again, home-field advantage has worked for CMU in the past and expect this time to be no different.

Zimmerman: CMU 24, Ball State 20  

Home is where the Chippewas shined last year, and I see that continuing. Ball State only returns two starters on defense from the previous 4-8 year. With the lack of experience on the defensive side for BSU, I think the run game for the Chippewas will shine, as they take the win in their first MAC game of the year. 

Week 5 vs. San Diego State 

Neal: CMU 20, SDSU 30 

SDSU is opening its 2024 season with new head coach, Sean Lewis, the previous offensive coordinator at The University of Colorado. Although being a home game, SDSU has a reputation for being the best defense in the Mountain West Conference. This will make it difficult for CMU’s offense to break through. CMU will have to utilize its special teams, particularly with Lukes as a returner to keep up with SDSU’s defense. Despite CMU’s home advantage, SDSU’s defense and ball control will give CMU the upper hand over the Chippewas. 

Zimmerman: CMU 17, SDSU 24 

San Diego State welcomes new head coach Sean Lewis this season, after a disappointing 2023. Lewis has a good résumé. He was the head coach at Kent State and the offensive coordinator at Colorado under Deion Sanders. I think as the Aztecs start a new chapter; they will defeat the Chippewas in a down-to-the-wire matchup.  

Week 6 vs. Ohio 

Neal: Ohio 28, CMU 24 

Despite CMU celebrating its homecoming game, Ohio is one of the stronger teams in the MAC, especially in offense. Ohio also comes in with an experienced quarterback and a strong offensive line. The Bobcats’ strong, dynamic passing game and ground attack give them the potential to put up points fast, something CMU’s defense won’t be expecting. It’ll be crucial for CMU to execute on third downs and score with touchdowns in the red zone ... not field goals. 

Zimmerman: CMU 17, Ohio 10 

Last year’s matchup against the Bobcats was disappointing for CMU, as it left Athens with a 34-20 loss. I think this season will be different. The Chippewas will have some revenge on their mind. The game is also CMU’s homecoming, meaning the crowd and environment could be a factor in the game.  

Week 7 @ Eastern Michigan 

Neal: CMU 28, EMU 21 

Tensions will be high due to the long-rooted rivalry between these two teams, creating an intensity for a win. It will be interesting to see how CMU will play due to its previous losing streak on the road. Eastern has a reputation for a tough defense and solid offense that can create attacks, turnovers and disrupt CMU plays. Although I believe CMU will come out on top, this may be a game that could be decided in the last half. 

Zimmerman: CMU 23, EMU 20 

The Eastern Michigan rivalry didn’t disappoint last season as it drew a crowd of over 28,000 fans. This year, the game is back at Eastern’s home field. However, I see the Chippewas still coming out on top in a tight game.  

Week 8 @ Miami (Ohio)  

Neal: CMU 13, Miami 28 

Miami (Ohio) finished first in the MAC East Division and was known for both its strong defense and efficient offense. Miami has a balanced offense that features a veteran quarterback and a solid running game all around. CMU will have to play clean football to avoid turnovers and other mistakes that Miami would catch onto. 

Zimmerman: CMU 10, Miami 31 

Miami (Ohio) is the reigning MAC champions and are coming into the 2024 season with a lot of expectation, earning first in the preseason poll. The game against the RedHawks starts a tough three-game stretch for the Chippewas. Last year, Miami ranked in the top three for both points per game and points allowed. I see their success continuing, especially as the RedHawks return some starters, including sixth-year linebacker Matt Salopek.  

Week 9 vs Bowling Green  

Neal: CMU 17, BGSU 23 

Both teams are closely matched in the MAC, but BGSU has a solid passing and running attack that could throw CMU’s defensive line off. If CMU can create pressure on BGSU’s quarterback, the game has a probability of going in either direction. 

Zimmerman: CMU 17, BGSU 28 

Bowling Green was the second-ranked offense in the 2023 season, averaging 26.2 points per game. I think the Falcons’ offense will cause some problems for the CMU defense which lost some key pieces due to the transfer portal and graduation. 

Week 10 @ Toledo  

Neal: CMU 14, Toledo 34 

Toledo dominated the MAC last season, with an undefeated record and a bowl game against Wyoming. Its offense seems to be the best in the MAC, which CMU’s defense will have difficulty stopping. This game will be all about stopping the Rockets’. If CMU can catch the plays of Toledo early, you will have a little more navigation over the game at hand.  

Zimmerman: CMU 13, Toledo 24 

Toledo dominated regular season MAC play last year, ranking No. 23 nationally at one point. The Rockets have some of that talent returning, including six all-MAC selections. The talent they bring back includes wide receiver Jerjuan Newton, who led the MAC with 696 receiving yards and nine touchdowns last season. The offense will be too much for the Chippewa defense, and lead to their third-straight loss.  

Week 11 vs. Western Michigan  

Neal: CMU 27, WMU 24 

This is the biggest game of the season for both teams, as it is the biggest rivalry in the MAC. CMU finally has a home-field advantage, which will be the upper hand for the Chippewas. WMU usually has a balanced attack, moving the ball through the air and on the ground. CMU must break up the runs to force most of WMU to pass. Despite both teams playing hard defense, there will need to be big stops in the red zone and limiting easy points.  

Zimmerman: CMU 28, WMU 20 

The rivalry is back in Mount Pleasant, and is the last home game of the year for the Chippewas. After last year’s loss in Kalamazoo, I see CMU coming out on top to win the victory cannon. Home field advantage plus coming off a tough stretch against the three best teams in the MAC, will drive the Chippewas to a win.  

Week 12 @ Northern Illinois 

Neal: CMU 17, NIU 27 

NIU thrives on physical ground attack and its ability to maintain the clock with runs is a major factor for them. CMU’s defense will be challenged with the run game that the Huskies bring. NIU is also able to make crucial stops at important moments. CMU’s quarterback and offensive line will have to be on the toes for sacs in the red zone. CMU will also have to play clean football and not give up easy points from NIU’s ability to force turnovers.  

Zimmerman: CMU 13, NIU 27 

NIU has a lot of experience on its team, with 32 seniors leading the way. The Huskies return 18 starters, which could be a factor for success. One of those returning is senior running back Antario Brown. He was hard for the Chippewas to contain in the 2023 matchup. He had 167 yards rushing with one touchdown. NIU will defeat the Chippewas for its final game of the season.