New to campus? Here are five things to do in your first five days

d-mainstage-photo-8-27-23-08

A student dives while playing a game during MainStage on Sunday, August 27 on Franklin St. The student used a bean bag to mark their distance traveled while hooked to a bungee cord that pulled against them.

The back-to-school countdown is in full swing and campus is abuzz with final preparations.

Whether you're an incoming freshman, a transfer student, graduate student or even a new member of the faculty or staff, it can be intimidating to set foot on campus. Fortunately, Central Michigan University has a slew of events during the first few weeks of class to help you meet new people, make new friends and maybe even find a club, organization or employer that will become your campus home-away-from-home. 

In fact, the university's getting-to-know-you opportunities have become so involved that they now run all the way through through Sept. 17 and have been dubbed Weeks of Welcome.

Here are our top picks for five "must-dos" in your first five days on campus: 

• MainStage: 4 to 7 p.m. Aug. 25 on Franklin Street 

On this campus, MainStage is a main stay. The event on Franklin Street outside of Finch Fieldhouse features Registered Student Organizations, fraternities and sororities, club sports, local business and campus departments in a getting-to-know-you bash that is part networking event, part party. Students can load up on free food, swag and information that may help them find their campus home-away-from-home.  

• Central Welcome Breakfast:  8 to 11 a.m. Monday, Aug. 26 in the Bovee UC Rotunda

Because a well-fed belly is critical to a well-fed brain, the Office of Student Activities and Involvement has scheduled its annual “grab and go” breakfast on the first day of classes as a kickstart to the new semester. 

• Get Acquainted Day: 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 28 on Warriner Mall

For more than three decades, Multicultural Academic Student Services (MASS) has presented this networking event/block party on the first Wednesday of the academic year. The evening brings together student, faculty, staff and the community for a celebration of the new year, as well as a chance to connect with organizations, programs and groups whose interest align with yours.

• RecFest: Friday, Aug. 30 through Sept. 6

From badminton to baseball and e-sports to aquatics, University Recreation offers a sport, athletic or leisure time activity for most any enthusiast, and many of them will be on display starting Friday, Aug. 30 during the annual days of RecFest. Check out the Student Activities Center (SAC) facilities and learn more about the wide range of classroom, recreational, fitness, club, aquatics and intramural programs the department supports. 

• Explore Mount Pleasant

OK, so this is a little less organized than the above-listed events, but whether you’re going to be here for nine months or four-plus interrupted years, Mount Pleasant is now your home. From a plethora of parks, wide-range of restaurants and the farmers market, to the indoor ice rink, golf simulator and multiple access points to the Chippewa River, this small city packs a mighty big punch.