County voters approve three millage renewals

Operating funds OKed across the board

d-potd-socials-080624

Rain and steely skies didn't prevent voters at the Chippewa Township Hall from casting ballots in the Michigan state primary election Tuesday morning. Hopefuls for local, state and federal positions are vying for the right to represent their parties on the November ballot, and a trio of county-wide millage renewals, as well as district-specific proposals, are pending voter approval. ⁠⁠

Polls remain open until 8 p.m. For a list of precincts, or for more information, visit the Isabella County Clerk's August and November election web page. (CM Life staff photo)

A trio of Isabella County millages have been renewed. 

With all precincts reported shortly after midnight Wednesday, the three questions all received voter blessing, meaning services at the county, in public transportation and at county parks will continue for as-is for at least another four years. It came following a night of forth-and-back results that often saw approval or failure teetering on fewer than 100 votes. 

At issue were: 

• A 7.89-mill, multi-jurisdictional operating levy that was projected to bring in an estimated $16.9 million to the county’s coffers for general operating funds. The levy has been in place, and routinely renewed, for more than four decades and renewed without fan fair for decades; it generated ire among some residents this year. The question capped the levy at 6.61 mills per year ($6.61 per $1,000 value) for the county; 1 mill ($1 per $1,000 assessed valuation) for township operations and .28 mills (28 cents per $1,000 assessed value) for the Intermediate School District. 
  • A 1-mill proposal to support the Isabella County Transportation Commission, better known as I-Ride, and keep public transportation on the road. The levy has been in place for 20 years, but according to I-Ride leadership, has only been levied at the $1 per $1,000 cap twice. The prevailing levy has been closer to 86 cents per $1,000 and, if rejected, would cost I-Ride about $2 million in local revenues and an estimated $3.8 million in state and federal funding.  
  • A .35-mill levy to support operations and maintenance for Isabella County Parks and Recreation. The department’s budget separated from the general fund in 2012, and the cap has held steady since. The county operates eight parks, 20 miles of trail, two modern campgrounds, a pair of disc golf courses and a slew of water access sites, beaches, rental pavilions, cross-country ski trails and open space sites. Officials said if the millage were batted down, the onus for maintenance would fall on increased user fees.

The initiatives have historically been approved with little-to-no fan fair. This year, however, anonymous, “Vote no” signs dotted yards, boulevards and curbs across the county, advocating that rejecting the extensions would lead to lower property taxes. 

County Administrator and Controller Nicole Frost said this election showed the importance of consistent education and conversation with voters. 

“I think the narrower margin of passage than we would like to have seen, I think shows us that our educational drive isn't done,” Frost said. “We've got a long ways to go so that we have a bigger spread in four years when we come back for that renewal. We need to do a better job educating.”

Unofficial results late Tuesday showed: 

• The county fixed operational millage was crossed the finish line with 54.75 percent of voters in favor and 45.25 percent opposed (6,777-5,601). 
  • The parks and recreation millage renewal earned the blessing of 54.72 percent of voters, compared to 45.28 percent against (6,880-5,692).
  • I-Ride cruised to renewal, enjoying the strongest support of the three questions with 56.58 percent of ballots in support and 43.42 percent opposed (7,116-5,460). 

Frost said she was thankful for all the voters who showed support for the county throughout the election process. Along with voters, she was grateful for the county staff, elected officials and department heads who helped the millage renewal.

“We're just so thankful for the trust that (voters) placed in the county and the services it provides,” Frost said. “We’re honored to continue providing those services.”

Director of Isabella County Parks and Recreation Alexis Hansen said she is grateful to all the voters who supported the parks throughout the election.

“We are proud to serve our community, and we're dedicated to meeting their needs and providing quality parks,” Hansen said. “And we're just happy to see that the community enjoys their park system and finds it a worthwhile investment.”

Hansen said the fundings will help complete projects on the five year master plan that was recently completed by the organization. The five year plan includes public input, according to Hansen. 

“We're happy to have the funding secured for the next six years, so that we continue to operate the way that we have been and make improvements,” Hansen said. “It's just a huge relief, and we're just very grateful to the community for coming out and showing their support for this department.” 

Some 13,037 voters -- about 32.37 percent of the county's 40,279 registered, cast ballots in the August statewide primary, which also saw partisan hopefuls vying for federal, statewide and local offices. Tuesday's results are still unofficial and won't be finalized until the election is canvassed. 

From a U.S. Senate seat to Isabella County Drain Commissioner, Tuesday's results will shape the general election ballot in November.