Citizens Police Academy returns to campus

People can apply by Sept. 5

d_trainingday8_052424

Central Michigan University Detective Scott Bailey (left) and Community Police Officer Josh Chapman grin as Chapman prepares to take his bi-annual tactical driving recertification test Thursday, May 23, in Lot 63 just outside of Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

After almost a decade, the Central Michigan University Police Department is returning its Citizens Police Academy. CMUPD Lieutenant Mike Sienkiewicz said the department wants to allow the CMU community to see and understand how the department maintains public safety. 

Applications for the academy will remain open until Sept. 5 or until the class is full. 

Applicants must be 18 years or older and pass a background check. They also have to be CMU students, faculty or community members. The department is looking for around 15 to 20 participants.

“The goal of the police academy is to allow our students, faculty and staff to learn more about our policing on campus, what we do and how we keep the community safe,” Sienkiewicz said. 

Meetings will occur every Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Satellite Energy Facility starting on Wednesday, Sept. 11 and ending on Oct. 9. 

Sienkiewicz said the attendees will be able to learn about: 

• Community policing 
  • Road patrol
  • The emergency services team 
  • 911 operations
  • Use of force 
  • Defensive tactics 
  • Information about drugged and drunk driving 

“Our detective bureau is going talk about what they do and some of our video surveillance,” Sienkiewicz said. “We are going to have a drone demonstration. And then throughout, we going to have kind of a scenario that builds through the process.”