'Alien: Romulus' bursts through the competition

The franchise has been resurrected once again, but is it enough to stay on top?

d_alienromulus2_entertaiment_083024

Cailee Spaeny, playing Rain Carradine, and David Jonsson as Andy light up the screen in the 20th Century Studios film 'Alien: Romulus.' (Courtesy photo | 20th Century Studios | Murray Close) 

The "Alien" franchise is back in theaters with a new entry that's sure to send shivers down your spine. "Alien: Romulus" is a one-shot story that takes place in the time between "Alien" and "Aliens, " and that follows the story of a band of righteous miners who try to escape the planet they're being held on for a better life. 

During their escape, they invade a desolate space station, seemingly abandoned for decades. In order to make it to their destination, Rain, played Cailee Spaney ("Priscilla," "Civil War), Andy, an android played by David Jonsson ("Industry," "Deep State"), and the rest of their crew must venture deep into the abandoned station and recover the fuel they need. 

Little do they know of the horrifying experiments that lie sleeping or a rogue Xenomorph running loose.  

The movie was an excellent return to form for the "Alien" franchise, after the divisive response to "Covenant." As an avid fan of the  franchise, I thought this movie crushed it and rivals the love I have for the first two movies. 

Fedé Alvarez exceeds expectations with his directing and writing. Mostly known for his disturbing "Evil Dead" remake, Alvarez's unique staging and the situations the characters get into are perfectly balanced in terms of fear, suspense and fun. The set pieces and visual effects are mind-boggling and intense, and the soundtrack is a fresh spin on the usual "Alien" soundtrack.  

This is the first time I’ve seen work from both Spaney and Jonsson, and they were both standouts of the movie. 

The characters have a unique relationship that mirrors a brother-and-sister dynamic, but with a really clever twist and had me immediately invested into the plot. Isabella Merced, who plays crew member Kay, has a scream that rivals Janet Leigh's from "Psycho."  

I have no critical negatives besides some small details and a character I didn't like, but I understood the purpose the character served in the story. Other than that, this movie is practically perfect. Sure I have some bias, as the "Alien" franchise is in my top 10, but this is a very well-made, well-directed and smart film that feels like summer blockbusters are supposed to feel. 

It’s a film that will make you scream, cheer and cry;  I had an absolute blast! "Alien: Romulus" is a definite 10/10. 

Carter Salley is a media arts major, film reviewer and co-host of CM Life's "Raving Geeks" podcast.