Harris clinches delegates to secure Democratic nomination, polls show

Presidential campaigning, fundraising heat up

photo-collage-presidential-2024
CM Life photo collage with assets from Whitehouse.gov.

On Sunday, July 21, President Joe Biden announced he is dropping out of the presidential race and will not be seeking re-election. Within 48 hours, Vice President and Biden's chosen successor, Kamala Harris, had earned enough delegate support to be declared the presumptive nominee, the Associated Press reported. 

The Harris campaign further announced its war chest grew by more than $100 million between Sunday afternoon and Monday evening. 

According to OpenSecrets, a Washington, D.C.,-based nonpartisan research firm that tracks money in U.S. politics and studies its effects on elections and public policy, Republican nominee and former president Donald Trump's campaign and organizations supporting it have raised more than $450.2 million for this year's campaign. The sum was nearly evenly split between outside money and candidate fundraising as of Tuesday morning, with outside contributions holding a slight edge. 

On the Democratic side, the Harris campaign has brought in nearly $425.2 million. Campaign donations there held a 2-1 edge over outside Political Action Committee support. 

Harris was due to visit Milwaukee Tuesday in her first rally since launching her campaign Sunday; Trump is scheduled to speak at a rally Wednesday in Charlotte, N.C.

Biden's  decision came after the June 27 presidential debate against Trump, which the AP called "disastrous." Increasing pressure from Biden's Democratic allies followed, urging the president to step down from his campaign.

"While it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in  the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder  of my term," Biden wrote in a letter posted on X. "I will speak to the nation later this week in more detail about my decision."

Shortly after, the president endorsed current Vice President and running mate Kamala Harris on X, saying she should be this year's party nominee.

White House officials were made aware of Biden's decision just minutes before the post went out.

CM Life staff contributed to this report.