Isabella County Parks looks to renew millage in upcoming election

d-potd-multimedia-072524
Midland resident Robert Acklin plays with his daughter, Amara Acklin, 2, Wednesday, July 24, at the new Herrick Recreation Area playground. The accessible playground, geared for children 2-12, opened June 26, and Acklin said Amara enjoyed its wide-range of features. Isabella County Parks and Recreation are asking voters this summer to renew a six-year, .35-mill levy that is expected to generate $902,316 for parks management and maintenance in its first year. (CM Life staff photo)

In the upcoming Aug. 6 primary election, Isabella County voters will vote on three millage extensions, including a renewal for the county’s parks and recreation services. 

The six-year funding was originally passed in 2012 and renewed in 2018. 

Director of Isabella County Parks and Recreation Alexis Hansen said the funding helps maintain and grow the services the department provides. 

“It allows us to keep our park user fees affordable,”Hansen said. “And it also allows us to maintain our parks at the level that our community has come to expect. And it allows us to fund capital improvements that current park user fees do not generate enough revenue to support.”

The question voters will see on the ballot is 0.35 mills (35 cents per $1,000 of taxable value) from 2024-29, keeping at the same rate that it has been since 2012. For the owner of a $100,000 taxable parcel, $35 of their annual property tax bill will go to Isabella County Parks and Recreation. 

Hansen said these funds are critical for the parks because the department’s budget was separated from the country general fund in 2012. That means that the park relies on park user fees, grants and the millage for revenue. 

“If this millage goes away, then we are completely reliant on those user fees, which will have, obviously, an impact on what we're able to afford and what projects we're able to accomplish,” Hansen said. “It will also impact park fees. 

“We would be reliant on park fees, and so we would have to increase those to make up for that loss tax support.” 

Currently, Isabella County Parks and Recreation has eight parks, 20 miles of trail, two modern campgrounds and two disc golf courses in its system. 

Along with that, it has multiple water access sites and beaches, rental pavilions, cross country ski trails and green open space for people to access.

Hansen said Isabella County residents are taking more of an interest in where their tax dollars are going this year, compared to previous elections. She said that the parks are willing to give any information to people who are interested. 

“There are a lot of supporters and a lot of users of the Isabella County park system,” Hansen said. “It serves many, many, many people from both inside the community and outside of the community. 

"We're seeing that it's something that people value, but we also are seeing that there are some really difficult things going on with our economy right now. … People are having to take that into account as they make these types of decisions also, and we completely understand that.” 

As voters have been more concerned with where their money is going, Hansen said the parks system has tried to get as much information out as possible about what this millage is and also listen to voters on what they want to see. 

“We're also taking a proactive look at our budget and … hearing from the voters that they have a concern about what their taxes are being spent on, so we are trying to tighten down the budget,” Hansen said. “Next year's budget has no large equipment purchases, for example.” 

Hansen encourages voters who have yet to experience the parks to go out and see the services they provide.

“If you haven't visited and … experienced one of our county parks before, as you're weighing these facts and making these decisions, there's no better time than now to go out and experience a county park and see firsthand what they have to offer,” Hansen said. 

For more information about the millage renewal, visit here.

** Related content: 'Transportation overall is an economic driver' **   
**
Signs of the times? **