CMU football to start preseason camp Tuesday

d_footballreturn_sports_072924
Central Michigan University football head coach Jim McElwain talks to the media during a preseason press conference Monday, July 29, at the Chippewa Champions Center atrium. Fall practice kicks off Tuesday; the Chippewas' season begins at 7 p.m. Aug. 29 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.(CM Life staff photo)

Central Michigan University football’s head coach Jim McElwain has a message: “I'm just ready to go.”

The team's journey to rebuild after back-to-back losing season starts Tuesday as it begins preseason practice. CMU will have a total of 20 practices before its home opener on Aug. 29 against Central Connecticut State.

The Chippewas return 17 starters from the previous season. Among the group is four 2023 All-Mid-American Conference honorees, including running back Marion Lukes, defensive back Donte Kent, wide receiver Jesse Prewitt III and offensive lineman Brayden Swartout. 

The 2023 season ended in a 5-7 overall record, following a 4-8 season the year prior. 

The disappointing seasons put McElwain in uncharted territory; this is his first time having two-straight losing seasons in his coaching career.

“The last couple years have been unacceptable,” McElwain said. “And I take the blame totally for the way we played games, the way we didn't finish, the way we didn't push through struggles. That's all on me, nobody else -- not the players, not the coaches -- that's the head football coach. And we're here to prove ourselves in a different manner.”

As CMU tries to bounce back, McElwain said he is optimistic about where the team is, heading into preseason camp.

“We've got a lot of great pieces,” McElwain said. “Now we got to put the pieces together to make sure that when the struggles happen, we're able to push through.” 

The Chippewas open regular season play against CCSU at 7 p.m. Aug. 29 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.