Close ties: CMU wrestling announces coaching staff

d-wrestlingvskentstate-photo-2-5-2023-5
Volunteer Assistant Coach Matt Stencel (right) and head coach Tom Borrelli watch redshirt junior Alex Cramer wrestle against Kent State Sunday, Feb. 5 in McGuirk Arena. Stencel joined the coaching staff in Sept. 2022.

As Ben Bennett gets set to become the first new head coach in over 30 years for Central Michigan wrestling, he is keeping familiar staff by his side.

On Tuesday, CMU Athletics announced that Bennett’s staff will be filled with existing Chippewas. Colin Heffernan will keep his role as assistant coach, and Matt Stencel will be promoted to assistant coach after serving two years as a volunteer. 

Heffernan has been on the staff since 2021. Before taking on a leadership role with CMU, he was on the mat for the Chippewas from 2014-18. 

During his time with CMU, Heffernan went 81-38, securing three trips to the NCAA Championships. 

He gained coaching experience as an assistant for Ohio University wrestling over three seasons. In his time with the Bobcats, he also earned a masters degree in coaching education. 

Stencel also knows how to win on the mat for the Chippewas, finding great success before coming on the staff. 

In his career, Stencel went 133-36 and qualified for the NCAA Championships five times, receiving All-American honors twice. He is also the only Chippewa in history to win Mid-American Conference Wrestler of the Year twice. 

Bennett was announced as the head coach in April of this year. Former head coach Tom Borrelli retired from the position after 33 seasons at the helm.