A chance to celebrate, learn and reflect

CMU caps off Juneteenth Week with celebration at Island Park

d-juneteenthlead-062124

Vice President for Inclusive Excellence and Belonging Dr. Shawna Patterson-Stephens speaks to attendees of the Juneteenth Celebration on Wednesday, June 19, at Island Park. (CM Life photo | Kaia Zimmerman)

With the sun blazing down on Island Park, Central Michigan University and the Mount Pleasant community enjoyed food trucks, live music and activities to celebrate Juneteenth on Wednesday. 

The holiday -- officially Juneteenth National Independence Day -- is celebrated on June 19, the anniversary of the day in 1865 when the last of the enslaved people in Texas learned they were free. That announcement came two years after then-President Abraham Lincoln put the Emancipation Proclamation into effect, according to the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

“Juneteenth is important to remember where we come from not only Black Americans, but all Americans,” CMU Assistant Director of Diversity Education Danny McQuarters Jr. said. “We all have some sort of history tied, and the rights that were gained and the protections that were gained due to Juneteenth (are) rights for everyone. ... Nobody in America can be born a slave again.” 

McQuarters was a big part of the planning process for the celebration and the events held on campus earlier in the week. In addition to Wednesday's community gathering, the campus hosted a virtual keynote address and luncheon film screening on Monday and Tuesday, respectively.  

McQuarters said that this year was experimental, as it's the first year Juneteenth has expanded past campus and put a focus on the Mount Pleasant community as a whole. The Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion worked with the City of MP and different local groups, including the Isabella Restoration House. 

“In years past, we've done events at CMU, and will always continue to do events at CMU, but it was time to just expand out into the community and actually create that genuine community connection, and bring CMU to the community, so we'll feel like one,” McQuarters said. 

Juneteenth National Day of Independence became an officially recognized Federal Holiday in 2021. In a statement released Tuesday, June 18, President Joe Biden called signing the bill commemorating the holiday one of his proudest achievements. 

"Today, we recognize that Juneteenth not only marks the end of America’s original sin of slavery but also the beginning of the work at the heart and soul of our Nation: making the promise of America real for every American," he said in Tuesday's statement. 

"Juneteenth is an acknowledgment of the truth of our Nation’s history," Biden continued. "It is about realizing the idea that America was founded on: All people are created equal and deserve to be treated equally throughout their lives. It is about the generations of brave Black leaders and selfless activists who never let us walk away from that idea."

Events like Wednesday's are important because they can help create a better community and give people new experiences, especially in a small city like Mount Pleasant, McQuarters said. 

“I think it's important to share it because living in a semi rural area, there's not a lot of opportunities for a lot of people, especially people of color, to have events that really represent them in their history,” McQuarters said. “It’s a very good way for this community to learn about other cultures and other histories that we may not be taught about in school.

"I think it's just ... another good opportunity for the community to learn and grow and support each other.” 

Juneteenth has become more well known throughout recent years. Gallup reported in 2022 that 59% of Americans at least had "some" knowledge about the holiday, an increase from the year before. 

However, McQuarters said having events like this make people more aware of the holiday and its importance to American history. 

“It's very important for everyone to recognize where that freedom comes from,” McQaurters said. “Our freedoms and our rights didn't appear out of thin air, they were fought for, people died for them. And now we have to celebrate the fact that we actually got them, but also learn from our history.”

CMU President Bob Davies and Mayor of Mount Pleasant Amy Perschbacher delivered speeches on the importance of the holiday and expanding the event outside of campus to open the celebration. 

Patrons wait for freshly squeezed lemonade to beat the heat during the Juneteenth celebration at Island Park. Juneteenth National Day of Freedom, June 19, honors the anniversary of the day in 1856 when the last of Texas' enslaved people got the news they were freed under the Emancipation Proclamation. This year, Central Michigan University partnered with local businesses, organizations and the City of Mount Pleasant to bring the commemoration off of campus and into the community. (CM Life photo | Kaia Zimmerman)

The event had food trucks available for attendees, including Olvera’s Texas Pit Bar B-Q, Happy Jack’s Kettlecorn and fresh-squeezed lemonade.  

People could also enjoy different activities, including caricature drawings by artist Corby Blem and make-and-take Juneteenth flags. 

As attendees enjoyed the  activities and food, McQuarters hoped the event helped people to be “curious” and learn more about other's experiences.

“I think one thing that people can take away from the Juneteenth events is to learn more and get curious and explore each other, and then also use holidays like Juneteenth to promote social good,” McQuarters said. “It's not just celebrating, it's bringing out organizations and people who need other support within the community. It’s finding ways ... can we make sure that this is a better, just world.”

The celebration capped off a week full of different events that included hosting Artists Stacy Robinson and Kamau Gratham as keynote speakers and holding a documentary screening and luncheon. 

“I think it's gone great so far, there's been a lot of positive support and feedback from the community from different organizations who have come out and ... offered their support, their resources,” McQuarters said.