CMU baseball falls to Oakland

d-cmuvakbaseball-photo-5-3-24-1
The Central Michigan University baseball team is defeated by the University of Akron 4-7, Friday, May 3, in Keilitz Field at Theunissen Stadium. This is the first of a three-game series against the Akron Zips.

In its second matchup against Oakland this season, Central Michigan baseball fell to the Golden Grizzlies by a score of 9-6. 

It is the second time the Chippewas have lost to Oakland this season bringing the Chippewas to a 16-36 overall record heading into their last series of the season.

Things didn’t get off on the right foot for CMU as the first four batters reached base safely that resulted in a run. Two batters later and a single scored two more runs for the Golden Grizzlies giving them a 3-0 lead in the first.

The Chippewas knotted things up in the second after a triple by sophomore Cole Prout scored two runs. He then scored when senior Drew Stengren grounded out to the pitcher.

OU struck again in the third when a two-out rally that featured four hits, scored three runs making the score 6-3.

CMU cut the lead to two in the fifth. After the first two batters of the inning got out, back-to-back hits by seniors Jake Brill and Marquis Jackson scored two runs making it a 6-5 game.

For the third time Oakland responded with three runs of its own again with a rally with two-outs in the inning.

The Chippewas scored one more in the eighth with a base hit by senior Jacob Donahue making the score 9-6. CMU would go down in order in the ninth, ending the game.

CMU will host rival Western Michigan in its final series of the season and look to head into the offseason on a positive note, with game one on Friday at 3 p.m.