Baseball team beats Tennessee Tech in extra innings to open three-game series

The first attempt at closing the game didn’t go as planned for the Central Michigan baseball team in Cookeville, Tenn.

So it made sure it had a second attempt.

CMU pitcher Patrick Kaminska, who blew a lead in the ninth inning, made a two-out play at the plate preserving a one-run lead in the 10th as CMU won 12-11 against Tennessee Tech in the opening game of a three-game series.

“We talked a little bit about a little bit of adversity, but I thought we responded very well and pleased with that,” head coach Steve Jaksa said.

Randon Henika, who entered the game for Tom Lally in right field in the ninth inning, threw the ball into home plate off a single from Jordan Hopkins.

CMU senior catcher William Arnold received the ball in time to tag pinch runner Seth Lucio at home plate.

“He made a one-hop throw to the plate and the kid was out by quite-a-ways, it was just a matter of Will hanging onto the ball and catching it,” Jaksa said.

Lucio, who was the tying run, was on second base during Hopkins’ single.

The saving play preserved a lead that the Chippewas built in the top of the inning after allowing a two-out single by Chad Hayes, which tied the game and sent it to extra innings.

Senior Nate Theunissen knocked home Jordan Dean – who singled to lead off the 10th – to give CMU the winning run when he hit a single down the first base line.

Kaminska did his job in the 10th, keeping the bases cleared with two outs on a fly out and a strike out in the bottom of the 10th inning, but allowed a two-out single by Zach Stephens.

Kaminska then walked Evan Frazier before Hopkins’ single failed to score Luico from second.

It was another offensive clinic for CMU, who beat Davenport 15-7 Wednesday.

CMU scored three first-inning runs, but the surplus of runs continued with a four-run sixth inning and a three-run seventh.

Eric Wrozek knocked in four runs with one swing of the bat when he hit a grand slam.

A single from Jordan Adams and walks to Sam Russell and Pat MacKenzie loaded the bases before Wrozek’s grand slam to right-centerfield.

“He really stayed in a good approach and he got into a positive count on that grand slam,” Jaksa said.

Wrozek went 2-for-4 with one run and seven RBIs.

Starting pitcher Zach Cooper went six innings, allowing 12 hits and nine runs – all earned and three walks.

The Chippewas are on a two-game winning streak and it’s their second of the season.

The series continues tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. and concludes at 1 p.m. Sunday.